From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan Instrument Fails

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a PXIe-8840 connected to two SRS-630 at address 7 and 8 via the GPIB connector.  When I run the "Scan for Instrument" out of MAX I don't see the instruments.

I have tried using my laptop and a GPIB-USB-HS+ and connect to the same instrument and it works fine.  I have tried replacing all the cables.  I have also tried just connecting to one instrument.

I have attached an NI-SPY trace capture.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,894 Views)

Did you try matching the GPIB port settings on NI MAX for both the inbuilt GPIB and USB GPIB methods?

What happens when you try to communicate with a particular instrument address by manually keying in the address though not automatically detected?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,864 Views)

I get a timeout error when I manually try to talk to the instrument.  I have a second PXIe-8840 configured the same way as the original one and it works fine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,856 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul_Knight_Lockheed_Mart

It is not uncommon for the GPIB cards inside some of the older instruments to have problems or the GPIB cables to have a break in a wire.  If at any step the wrong response is seen, continue through all steps to determine if there is more than a single issue.

1. First, unhook all instruments and cables then try the Scan for Instruments which should return nothing. 
  2. Now, attach one cable and one instrument and run the Scan for Instruments again.  This time it should find that instrument.
  3. Next, swap the unused cable for the one currently making the connection.  Re-run the Scan for Instruments to verify it finds the instrument noting now that both cables appear to be working properly. 
  4. Remove the working instrument and attach the other instrument then re-run the Scan for Instruments again.  It should appear at a different address than the previous instrument.  Noting that both instruments appear to be working properly and at the proper addresses.
  5. Connect both cables and instruments then re-run the Scan for Instruments.  Both instruments should be seen.

GPIB card seating and wire breaks can be intermittent or dependent on how they are connected.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 4 of 5
(2,852 Views)

It appears to be an instrument issue.  The SR630 locks the GPIB bus and doesn't release it until you power it off.  I will get with the instrument vendor.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,843 Views)