Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SR830 Lock-In does not show up on NI MAX

I am currently trying to connect a SR830 Lock-In Amplifier to my computer with the help of a GPIB. I installed all drivers but it does not show up on either NI MAX or LabVIEW. I am wondering if I need to tell the Lock-In that it is controlled through the GPIB (I had to do something similar to a function generator). I know that the GPIB driver is installed correctly because I can connect other instruments and run them in LAbVIEW, just not the SR830 Lock-In.

I am using a GPIB-USB-HS (driver 14.0.0.49152), LabVIEW 2014, Windows 7 Enterprise. I am relatively new to this whole thign, so I appreciate an easy-to-understand answer, please.

I attached a screenshot of the NI MAX, I am seeing at the moment. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,323 Views)

@annica wrote:

I am wondering if I need to tell the Lock-In that it is controlled through the GPIB (I had to do something similar to a function generator).

Look in the manual.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,303 Views)
I did. There is nothing useful in the manual on how to set up the GPIB.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,300 Views)
Page 4-24 has instructions that seem clear to me.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,294 Views)

Thanks for your help! I did that a few times already but it never showed up on the NI MAX. I thought there might be something more complicated as a setup procedure. Is there anything else that could be the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,271 Views)
Bad instrument? Bad cable? It does not show up art all or does it just fail the id query?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,267 Views)

It shows the above screenshot (sent it in my inital question). The cable works well with other instruments, so I guess it could be the lock-in itself?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,264 Views)
You can fiddle around with the bus timing of the GPIB controller but I would suspect the instrument. How old is it? Has it ever worked? Can you communicate to it with the serial port?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,261 Views)

The instrument works fine! I don't know how old it is. It has been controlled with a DAQ before, so I guess you are able to connect it to the computer?

I don't know much about this kind of stuff, so I wouldn't know how to communicate through the serial port. How does that work?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,257 Views)
A DAQ is not at all the same as GPIB so I don't understand your comment.

A serial connection just requires an RS232 port on the pc. The driver does require some modification to work with it, though. See http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/SR830-GPIB-Driver-to-RS232-driver/td-p/313366...
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,248 Views)