Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFG-830 Function Generator serial communication problem

Hi, I am working on my final year project titled as "Web Based Remote Access Laboratory". What i am trying to do: Using Labview web publishing tool i have now remote access to oscilloscope available in my college and everything is working fine and instrument is remolty controlled. Issue: I am trying to connect a arbitrary Function generator with the following Model/Manufacturer details: http://www.gwinstek.com/en/product/productdetail.aspx?pid=5&mid=305&id=97 SFG-830 By GW-Instek, Arbitrary Function Generator. I have downloaded the labview driver provided by the manufacturer and using VISA i have successfully established the serial connection with the instrument and my system. Now, when i run certain VI for controlling instrument (Ex. generating Sine wave or changing function Generator's Frequency etc.), there is no error displayed but the instrument isn't responding. There is no problem in serial communication as i have closely checked all the possible issues related to serial comm. Also VI isn't displaying any error message. Also all setting on the instrument are correct such as baud rate etc. Kindly provide assistance relating my problem as soon as possible as i have to submit my project by the end of my degree program.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,457 Views)

First, we should try to isolate the problem as either software or hardware. Try to open up NI-MAX and find your device or serial port. Open up a VISA test panel and under the Input/Output tab see if you can send the basic “*IDN?\n” query. If the device is operating properly it should self identify with a response and then we can start the program debugging process.

The LabVIEW VISA Tutorial includes helpful information including possible debugging tips.

Jeff L.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

Jeff L
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(3,431 Views)