From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCXI-1000 not detected

We've got a lab where they have recently installed 32-bit Windows 7 on an old computer and reinstalled LabVIEW. I believe that the version they installed is 8.5, or thereabouts. They also installed NI DAQmx.

The comoputer has an NI PCI6229 installed, cabled to a SCXI-1000 chassis with four SCXI 1143 modules, each with a SCXI 1305 module attached.

I've manually added the chassis in NI-MAX but ic won't autoscan the modules. If I add the modules manually it tells me that it is expecting to see the 1143s but can't. If I try to reset the chassis it gives me an error with helpful suggestions line check to see that the cable is attached (which it is). The light is on on the chassis, I've checked the address - still set at the default of 0.

Unfortunately the tech that set the system up initially is no longer here. I didn't do the installation, I just got called in to try to get it working.

How do I isolate the problem? This is all hardware that was working previously and LabVIEW itself seems to run OK so my first inclination is to look at DAQmx or something on the software side. Is there an easy way to tell whether DAQmx is working and seeing the PCI6229?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,936 Views)

At my former job, we had a new PC with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installed.

It was not able to autodetect the chassis and the modules either.

I had to go into NI-MAX and tell it that there was a SCXI-1000 chassis.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,933 Views)

Hi jchrisj,

Look at the DAQmx readme for the version you have installed and confirm that is is compatible with your system. Also, try the modules in different slots. You can also try using a different module as the communicating module. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,914 Views)

@jMunny wrote:

Hi jchrisj,

Look at the DAQmx readme for the version you have installed and confirm that is is compatible with your system. Also, try the modules in different slots. You can also try using a different module as the communicating module. 

We had the NI-DAQmx 14.0

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,902 Views)

I believe that the system was upggraded to 32-bit WIndows 7. I know that they reinstalled their old LabVIEW package. I'm checking on the version of DAQmx that was reinstalled but I'm sure it was whatever they had installed previously. Can we cleanly upgrade DAQmx to a newer version without impacting the LabVIEW code?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,887 Views)

Hi jchrisj,

That depends on what version of LabVIEW you are using and what hardware you have. The readme will list all compatible hardware and software.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,882 Views)