From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Host Devices on the Compact RiO

I was wondering if it is possible to run host devices (such as frame grabbers) on the compact RiO provided you have an ethernet connection with the host computer?

I have a frame grabber on the host computer that I would like to use in my program while getting the commands to run it off the Compact RiO.

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(5,308 Views)

Also, when I try to compile a camera program onto the RiO, it gives me an error. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the solution is. Here's the error.

Initializing...
Calculating dependencies...
Checking items for conflicts. This operation could take a while...
Preparing items for download. This operation could take a while...
Deploying Untitled Project 1
Deploying NI-cRIO9025-01520377(successfully deployed target settings)
Deploying TagReturnType.ctl (1.97 K)
Deploying DialogTypeEnum.ctl (1.97 K)
Deploying IMAQUnregisterSession.vi (5.66 K)
Deploying GetRTHostConnectedProp.vi (4.75 K)
Deploying whitespace.ctl (1.97 K)
Deploying imgSetChannel.vi (6.56 K)
Deploying IMAQ Image.ctl (2.02 K)
Deploying IMAQ Image Datatype to Image Cluster.viIMAQ Image Datatype to Image Cluster.vi loaded with errors on the target and was closed.
LabVIEW:  Failed to load shared library nivissvc.*:LV_LVDTToImage:C. Ensure that the library is present on the RT target. Use MAX to install NI software or FTP to transfer custom libraries to the RT target.
Deploying NI-cRIO9025-01520377 Container
Deployment completed with errors

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(5,307 Views)

Hi bilaln,

The error you are getting is most likely because the NI-Vision software is not installed on your compact Rio.   You can add software to your cRIO in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX).  In MAX, right-click on the software section under your cRIO and select Add/Remove Software.   This will bring up the LabVIEW Real-Time Software Wizard.   Make sure to select the Vision software in addition to the RIO software so that it is included in the install.

Once the cRIO has the vision software installed, you should not get this error anymore.

Hope this helps!

Starla T. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(5,267 Views)

Hi bilaln,

The error you are getting is most likely because the NI-Vision software is not installed on your compact Rio.   You can add software to your cRIO in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX).  In MAX, right-click on the software section under your cRIO and select Add/Remove Software.   This will bring up the LabVIEW Real-Time Software Wizard.   Make sure to select the Vision software in addition to the RIO software so that it is included in the install.

Once the cRIO has the vision software installed, you should not get this error anymore.

Hope this helps!

Starla T. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(5,266 Views)

Was a solution found to this?

I am currently trying to use VI's from the vision library on an sbRIO, how ever the same error appears.

I have checked my SW installation, that seems to be fine....

(as par the KB:http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/10867    im still not quite sure if this is relevant for the sbRIO with only one either net port!?!?!) 

i have tried including the libray inquestion in the project.....
ive also tried FTPing the file to the sbRIO , I cant seem to find a sensible place to put the library on the RIO, so i made my own folder.... still not luck!

any help ill be greatful!

p.s ive atteched the error. it seems that its random as to which VI causes the error. sometime it the one listed, other times the start DAQmx VI, somthimes the configure DAQmx vi. I assume that this is just the random order that LV compiles the code on to the sbRIO, and its just that this time the threshold was the  first and so caused the error...

the code is also attached. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(4,956 Views)

Hi R,

I have a few questions that may help with troubleshooting:

- What kind of camera are you using? (GigE, IP, USB, etc)

- What model of sbRIO are you using?

- Are you able to see your camera listed under the "Devices and Interfaces" section of your sbRIO in MAX (under "Remote Systems")

- Can you post a list of the software (and version numbers) you have installed on the sbRIO?

- Have you tried formatting the sbRIO controller and doing a fresh install of the necssary software?

Tim W.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

http://www.ni.com/support 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(4,939 Views)

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. See the following:

- What kind of camera are you using? (GigE, IP, USB, etc)

IP Camera - Axis M1011

- What model of sbRIO are you using?

sbRIO 9631

- Are you able to see your camera listed under the "Devices and Interfaces" section of your sbRIO in MAX (under "Remote Systems")

Not under the sbRIO, but I can under the "My System" in MAX

- Can you post a list of the software (and version numbers) you have installed on the sbRIO?

See attached PIC

- Have you tried formatting the sbRIO controller and doing a fresh install of the necssary software?

Yep. Ive tried using the standard sbRIO SW suggestion given by MAX, and chosing a custom install. Neither seems to have worked.

Thanks for your time. 

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(4,932 Views)

Hi Richard,

In your previous post you made references to DAQmx VIs in your sbRIO project. I just wanted to get a little more clarification on that point because NI-DAQmx and NI-RIO are quite different and were designed for different platforms.

I tried taking a look at your code but found that some of your subVIs weren't included. A possible explanation for your error could be that you're trying to call a VI that's not allowed on Real Time (see http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370622F-01/lvrtconcepts/rt_unsupportedets/). Specifically, if you could post your threshold subVI here it might be useful for troubleshooting. Thanks!

Tim W.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(4,907 Views)

Hi Tim,

its a typo, sorry its IMAQmx that im having the issues with. Dyslexia!!!! :S  (so DAQmx = IMAQdx)

So just to  clearify the problem, EVERY IMAQdx VI i try to deploy on to the sbRIO causes the posted error. I cannot get the RT system to do anything with the IMAQdx VI's. even when they are the only VI's in the deployed VI. ie the error is independant of my subVI's .

If you could explain to me how to put an IMAQdx VI on to an RT target, and get it to deploy, i think we will be away! However, what ever IMAQdx VI's I put on to the system, causes the error. Im sure its just the process i am going through is wrong, and hopefull not that I have misunderstood the ability of the IMAQdx VIs. Seeing this KB makes me think that the ability i want is possible........... http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/10867

cheers for your help.

R

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(4,893 Views)

Hi Richard,

Please try the following and let me know your result:

1. Repair your installations of the IMAQdx driver and IMAQ.

2. Format your cRIO and reinstall the software on it (see this KB for step-by-step how-to)

3. After getting things set up per the instructions in the Dev Zone you linked, try deploying to the cRIO again.

It could be that the installation of your vision software on the host computer isn't correct and might not be getting properly installed on the RIO.

Tim W.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(4,877 Views)