From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading series of data from Keithley 590 CV analyzer. HELP!!

I have managed to connect the Keithley 590 CV analyzer to a PC via the IEEE 488 port and GPIB-USB. I am able to read a single reading from the meter but now, How do I read off a series of data from the Keithley 590 CV analyzer to do a plot? How would the coding look like? Could someone please help me to do that? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,066 Views)

Hi!

It seems like there is no driver from NI or Keithley.

But you can use lib from here:

590CV.llb ‏421 KB 

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/ERROR-CODE-6-GPIB-READ/td-p/908907

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,035 Views)

Hi, thank you for the file but how do I use it? Isn't there a way I can just write a script to read off the values stored in the buffer of the CV meter?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,022 Views)

Post the code you are currently using and we'll try to help. 

Are you sweeping voltage or is it constant?  You want C vs time?  Easiest way might be just to wire the reading you get directly to a waveform chart.cv.png

Hard to give you more without a good idea of what you want to see or how you are doing the measurements.

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,013 Views)

Hi!

This is not just single file. This is library with many VI's.

Looks like 590-CV Measurement.vi are doing what you want.

I'm not working with 590CV but has some experience with other Keithley equipment.

Many of them has internal buffer for data storage. So you case may be this one: set up interrupt, start measurements, wait for interrupt, get all values from buffer.

"Run" tab of 590-CV Measurement.vi is very close to this procedure, look at the attachment file.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,005 Views)

HI cstorey,

The thing is I really don't have a code to start with. I am still trying to figure out how to write a code for measuring the C vs V data and read them off. Yes I want it to be on sweep mode. I am new to this meter and have never used anything as such to automate whatsoever. That's why I am a bit stuck.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,994 Views)

Hi toshas,

Actually how do I use the lib files? Do I need a specific software to read them? I have never used this library. I need to read the buffer and collect all the data to be able to plot graphs for C vs V.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,992 Views)

Hi toshas,

Actually how do I use the lib files? Do I need a specific software to read them? I have never used this library. I need to read the buffer and collect all the data to be able to plot graphs for C vs V.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,991 Views)

This is Labview file. So double-click on it and you will be able to see included VI's.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,985 Views)

HI toshas,

I installed LABVIEW and was able to open the file, but I am not able to run anything on that. How do i connect the 590 CV meter to labview? Do I have to use a separate software for that or is there a way to connect to the meter on the labview interface itself? 

I am currently establishing connection to the meter using pyvisa in python and it's only through commands I communicate with the instrument.

What do I do next? (I have the following display right now)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,968 Views)