From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading serial data from B&B switch - 232BSS4

Greetings,

I am new to LabVIEW and was wondering if anyone has any experience working with B&B switch - 232BSS4 (4 RS232 input ports and 1 RS232 output port) in labview environment.  I don't know how do I setup RS232 comms in my Labview code to read and write serial data from multiple ports of this switch.  Would really appreciate any help in this regard.

hzs

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,351 Views)

Good place to start are the examples included with every install of LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,347 Views)

To switch, you'll need to send the ESC and STX characters. You can do this by setting the string control/constant for hex display and entering the correct code or build an array of U8 and use the Byte Array to String. Lots of discussion and examples around the forum for sending hex control characters.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,343 Views)

Appreciate the info, but I am unfotunately no where near a solution.  I have selected the switch to run in an Auto Select mode with two active ports. One is connected directly to a data stream which is readily available.  However, the other is connected to a board that provides pressure data from sensors.  I am unable to communicate with this board.  If I plug the board directly to my code, it works like a charm, but the introduction of the switch brings it to a screeching halt.  I have been reading the message board how to establish comms, but the more I read, the more I get confused.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,284 Views)

Need to see your code. You might also want to contact B&B. This isn't necessarily the best place to get support on non-NI products.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,268 Views)

I am having a similar problem with 232BSS4 switch.  Did you ever find a solution to the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,131 Views)