From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 Communication with JEVAmet VCU (Vacuum Control Unit)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All, 

We got in our lab a new pressure gauge JEVAmet VCU from JEVATEC company. This device allows cummincation through RS232 interface. I connected that device using RS232 cable to the PC and then, used a labview example (Continuous Serial Write and Read) to read the version number of the pressure gauge as a simple request, however, I always get the same error

Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Read in Continuous Serial Write and Read.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

(see the attached photo). You can find the manual of such a device to check for the string command here https://jevatec.de/index.php/en/downloads/send/26-jevamet-vcu-en/90-ba-vcu-08-2017-en. 

My attempts to solve the problem:

1- increase the timeout duration ------- failed (increasing the timeout did not solve the problem)

2- Changing the port instead of RS232 to convert it to USB using RS232 hub ---- failed

3- restart the device ---- failed

4- Changing the baud rate and check the new baud connection ------ failed

5- Check for the code display ----- failed 

What is the problem I am facing here?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,468 Views)

In your left frame, \n is the termination character.  In the right frame, you are using the \r as the termination character which will cause a timeout as the command is not terminated properly.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,451 Views)

I changed it but it still timeouts. I also used NI MAX for VISA test panel and it shows the same response.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,447 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AchimKittel

1. Your string control has a display mode of "Normal".  Therefore your "\n" is NOT a carriage return.  It is 2 bytes: '\' and 'n".  You should change your display mode to be "\ Codes" and then your "\n" will actually mean carriage return (after you get rid of the extra '\').

2. It looks like you have the "End Write on Termination Character" set to TRUE.  Therefore, you do not need to have the termination character (the "\n") in your command string.  VISA will add it for you.

3. The Continuous Serial Write and Read example is BAD.  I suggest using an Event Structure to send the data and immediately read the response.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,395 Views)