Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS-232C data acquisition

I have a unit  of laser scan micrometer  from Keyence LS3100, previous programmer who help us use the analog output and connected via SC2345 to acquire data, but, not as accurate as we wanted, now, we wnted to try RS232C connection to computer cpu main board, how can I do the data acquisition using labview?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,153 Views)
NI sells several RS-232C board that are capable of receiving and transmitting RS-232C message and you can use NI-VISA in LabVIEW as the API. I would recommend the PCI-8430.

-Josh
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,136 Views)

1st you need to know the communication parameters of the device (baud rate, data bits, stop bits, parity, termination characters). Next you need the proper serial cable from the PC to the device. And then you need to know the command set for the device. The manufacturer or the device's manual can help you determine these.

Next, use Windows Hyperterminal to test the above to verify all is in order.

Now use basic serail read/write vi's that typically ship with LabView. Configure as needed and run to test command and responses out. Search examples under Help for serial to finds these.

This should be a good starting point to writing a LV program to satisfy your data acquisition needs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 3 of 3
(3,130 Views)