Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS 232 to USB and Blue Screen

Hallo everyone

I am using labview 2011 with win XP to connect my device which have rs232 connector. I used rs232 to USB converter to read data using visa to the computer. The program is running for few minutes and then the blue screen appeared and windows restarted automatically. I have got these two attached dump files which are combined in .zip file.

By the way the device have an exe demo program when I used it the problem of blue screen did not happened.

I appreciate your support

greetings

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(4,886 Views)

Contact the device manufacturer and ask about any special requirements for their device. Not a NI problem.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(4,872 Views)

Hi,

How old are the drivers? Is the device win XP compatible? I think the driver is incompatible and so the driver causes the blue screen.

One of the most annoying issues with Windows is when your hardware manufacturer fails to provide a proper driver for the operating system.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(4,863 Views)

what do you mean by driver? the device have no driver I used the visa interface in labview to connct with it. And I think the rs232 to usb converter driver does not need update or??

So you think that the problem is from the manufacturer not from the labview VIs?

best regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(4,859 Views)

Hi,

I think so

I mean the driver for your usb to rs232 adapter. Which adapter are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(4,857 Views)

Hi,

Most virtual COM ports and many low cost USB-to-serial adapters do not fully comply with the serial specification and therefore do not support a lot of the functions that VISA uses, such as asynchronous I/O and flushing.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(4,847 Views)

I installed a new driver for the rs232 converter and now it working longer than previous but also it freezing the windows.Could you help to find good drivers for the rs232 to usb converter?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(4,845 Views)

If you make your own VISA calls (either through a VISA test panel in MAX or a development environment) and avoid any calls that aren't supported by the driver for your virtual COM port then it may work, but because each virtual COM port implements different functionality, they are not officially supported by MAX or VISA.

Another work around would be to try adding a token to the visaconf.ini file:   

WriteTimeoutGranularity = 0 under section [ASRL-RSRC-ALIAS].

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(4,843 Views)

Which adapter are you using?

USB-to-serial adapters have their own drivers

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(4,841 Views)

where can I find this file? when I used the measurements and automation explorer the program did not understand this sentence.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(4,821 Views)