Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem to establish GPIB communication

I have a Tunics-Plus laser (with IEEE-488.1 GPIB Remote Control) which I connected directly to the PCI-GPIB board (using Labview 6.1,windows 2000 Pro). After starting the Measurement & Automation controller the laser is listed as a instrument with the correct GPIB address but the program gives the following message "Instrument did not respond to the *IDN? query". After that, I tried to communicate withe the NI-488.2 Communicator but I got the message "iberr=EABO" which indicates a time-out condition after read. During sending the *IDN? you cann see the laser is doing something but it does not respond. After that, I tried to set the GPIB propperties for this instrument (i.e termination method etc.) using the GPIB Configuration W
izard. I think the problem is to set the right termination method. The laser-manufactures writes "Each message string sent br the computer/terminal to the laser is ended with the line-feed character (LF, ASCII code10). However, this character can be omitted if the EOI control line is set to true". It would be very nice if somebody could give me a suggestion how to solve this probem i.e. which settings I have to choose. p.s. If I connect a Tektronics Oscilloscope to the GPIB board everything is working propperly.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,099 Views)
Did you actually try to manually send the identify query with the additional Line Feed character? It sounds as if the device is waiting for the termination character regardless of the EOI control line state.

You can use the concatinate string function to combine the characters *IDN? with the Line Feed string constant in the string palette. Use the GPIB example VI and modify it to include the concatinated sting
Message 2 of 2
(3,099 Views)