Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Agilent or HP 8753ES Network analyzer GPIB control using Labview 8.6

Hi

I have a question about the Agilent/HP 8753ES Network Analyzer, a rather older model but still quite popular out there. I have downloaded and tried using the Labview drivers for this device, but find that I cannot do the following operations even with them and was wondering if anyone had written VIs that could do these or at least partially do them, I would be most greatful for any feedback or advice. I am running Labview 8.6

* How do you save and recall a state (which will include both cal data and settings) to and from the host computer connected to the device using GPIB by menas of a Labview VI? Say you do a 2 port calibration manually, you set your analyzer to the settings you want, and then you want to save the entire state. You can save it to a register on the machine or a floppy on the machine's floppy drive, but we want to be able to save it to the host computer connected to the analyzer via GPIB. We also want to be able to recall it from the host computer and load it back to the machine and make it the active recalled state. I couldn't get the canned VIs to work with this because they appear to be written to save and recall the state and calibration SEPARATELY, which the 8753ES has combined into one save state.

* How do you save and recal a register to and from the computer, same principle as above but for a register?

* How do I save and recall measurement data in CSV format to and from the host computer?

* How do I save a JPEG capture of the screen to the host computer, not the floppy drive on the machine?

Thanks for your help.

Locktofer

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(9,055 Views)

Hi Locktofer,

In LabVIEW, if you openfunctions palette»Intrument I/O»Intrument Drivers»HP8753 VIs»Application Example VI's, there are two examples that should help you a lot.

There is an HP8753 Save/Recall State.vi in the getting started example that you can use.

The collect and Save Data.vi has a "data values" output that will give a 1D array of cluster of 2 values.  You could use a for loop with an index array and a cluster unbundle by name to get each single value.

Please look at the following knowledgebase article regarding .csv file:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C944B961B59516208625755A005955F2

Regarding the JPEG file, unless the HP device supports that, I don't think there's a way to do that.

Regards,

Sammy Z.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(9,002 Views)

Hi Guys,

Sorry to open this one up again, but I'm struggling with the same problem-

• I am controlling The agilent 8753 ES VNA with labview 8.6 using GPIB
  • I have performed two port TRL calibration manually on the instrument and saved the state of the instrument onto floppy disk in a RAW array
  • The instrument lists the floppy disk as containing one file of "ISTATE" type
  • When read on a PC, the floppy disk contains the following files-

FILE01.1A

FILE01.1B

FILE01.1C

FILE01.10

FILE01.11

FILE01.12

FILE01.13

FILE01.14

FILE01.15

FILE01.16

FILE01.17

FILE01.18

FILE01.19

FILE01.CK

FILE01.I

FILE01.P

FILE01.R1

FILE01.R2

FILE01.R3

FILE01.R4

FILE01.W

• In the example VI "HP8753 getting started.vi", the example calibration file recalled is "hp8753.cal".

• SO-How can i build a .cal file to use in my program from the files saved from the instrument?

Many thanks

JimmyP

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,413 Views)
The .cal file that the VI uses has a format that's basically defined by looking at the "HP8753 Save/Recall Calibration" VI. There's a bunch of "header" information related to the recaller's name, cal title, comments, etc., separated by tabs, followed by the number of points in the calibration, followed by the cal type, followed by the array data. You can see this by looking at the code. I have no idea what the format of the individual files is - you will need to look at the documentation for the 8753ES to figure this out.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,410 Views)

where is the HP8753 getting started.vi? Cannot find it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(7,937 Views)

@leishao87 wrote:

where is the HP8753 getting started.vi? Cannot find it.

For some reason when the project-style drivers were written that VI was not included. It can be found in the old LLB-style driver

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(7,915 Views)

Nice! Thanks a lot! I got it. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,897 Views)

The example vi's are stored in the example directory. And the old getting started now is called

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\instr.lib\Agilent 87XX Series\Examples\Agilent 87XX Series Read and Graph Data.vi

I'm not against this style, it is nice to find the examples over there, but I would like to see them also in the vi tree of the driver and the menu!

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(7,891 Views)

Hello,

I need to collect data at fixed frequency but at different interval of time. I'm using Lab view code for HP8753E VNA. Using aigilent technology 8753 series.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,687 Views)

were you able to do this? I am in te same situation right now, same model

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,901 Views)