Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-8432/2 Odd behaviour in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a PXI-8432/2 in a couple test stations. The problem I see occasionally is the assigned serial ports on the card either don't match device manager or are in conflict with another serial port! (Conflict as in multiple hardware devices have taken the same serial port # according to windows..) . 

This seems to occur when DUT's that enumerate as virtual com ports are connected/disconnected to the test station. 

Here is a example of the board not fully enumerating: 

MAX ViewMAX View

- Windows Device Manager shows different VCP 

Windows Device ManagerWindows Device Manager

When this problem occurs then I usually have to play with device manager until eventually it get's sorted out. Maybe reboot a couple times. 

VISA version is 18.0. 

Anybody else seeing this? Any other ideas on resolution to make this card more stable? 

Sr Test Engineer at American Innovations - LabVIEW CLA - Kudo's are appreciated!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,392 Views)

Hi mwatkins, 

Thank you for bringing this up, I haven't seen this particularly, however I am wondering if after you made the upgrade to VISA 18.0 you have seen any issues with the NI Resource Manager. Have you noticed it being stopped by any of those times you saw this behavior?

Also, have you noticed that if this behavior also happens or is somehow related to when you attempt to connect/ disconnect those DUTs?

Regards,

Regards,

Sil.VI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,347 Views)

Hi Sil,

Thanks for the reply. I will look at NI Resource Manager (service 'nipxirmu' ?) next time, I don't know if it was stopped or not.

The issue is related to how Windows device manager & NI hardware are interacting when enumerating other COM port devices. Sometimes it's like trying to use VISA when the store only accepts AmEx.. 🙂

Sr Test Engineer at American Innovations - LabVIEW CLA - Kudo's are appreciated!!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,341 Views)

I take it this wasn't happening before you installed VISA 18? What version of Windows are you using? It might be useful if you could attach an NI MAX Technical report so we can see your software stack.

CH
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/en-us/support.html
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,326 Views)

Thanks for following up, 

I can resolve this particular NI 8432 problem by refreshing device manager & NI MAX several times, maybe reboot windows. 

Happen w/ NI VISA 14,16 as well. 

Windows is WIN 7. 

There is some latency between Device Manager/MAX updating, that was probably part of my initial issue. You have to refresh both to see COM port # changes get reflected. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,219 Views)

What version of NI-Serial do you have? That could effect this card and the communication. 

Here's a link to find the latest version of NI-Serial: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-serial-17.5/7275/en/

C. Weeks
Product Support Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,208 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mwatkins

I ended up uninstalling+delete driver then re-install NI Serial + NI VISA. Then had to repair both to allow windows to find the drivers. craziness.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,205 Views)