Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCMCIA-GPIB support for Windows 7 and 8

I understand the PCMCIA-GPIB adapters are legacy devices, however, for some of us who still have these adapters and platforms with Windows 7 or 8 on them, it would be very useful to see a supported release of NI488.2. I haven't been able to get any version of the software to work yet (I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) with this adapter. If anyone has a workaround available, without having to install XP or using a virtual environment, please share. If NI still sells this product, then it would seem appropriate that it should be fully supported.

Current use: Data collection via Agilent IC-CAP, Silvaco UTMOST IV, and MATLAB from parameter analyzers, LCR meters, and network analyzers for on-wafer probing.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,945 Views)

I don't have any firsthand experience, but have you tried right-clicking on the program in the Start Menu, selecting the Compatibility tab, then clicking the box for Run this program in compatibility mode, and choosing Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,942 Views)

Yes, unfortunately that didn't help. Thank you though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,939 Views)

Too bad.

It looks like they dropped support for the PCMCIA-GPIB completely with Windows 7.

The ironic thing is that they still sell this card. I would bet most people don't know that it isn't supported with Windows 7.

I wouldn't have know if I hadn't read your post.

Very bad of NI.

Message 4 of 7
(4,930 Views)

Hello,

even though it is not noted very visible on the front page of a product, there is the information possible to find.

Latest NI-488.2 16.0.0 does not support PCMCIA-GPIB hardware per download page (chapter Supported Hardware)
Previous NI- 488.2 15.5 does support PCMCIA-GPIB hardware per download page (chapter Supported Hardware) but only on Windows XP SP3/Server 2003 R2 SP2 (32-Bit) according to Supported Interfaces chapter in its readme

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,790 Views)

@nyc_(is_out_of_here) wrote:

Too bad.

It looks like they dropped support for the PCMCIA-GPIB completely with Windows 7.

The ironic thing is that they still sell this card. I would bet most people don't know that it isn't supported with Windows 7.

I wouldn't have know if I hadn't read your post.

Very bad of NI.

I would imagine that the product is still sold to support legacy OEM products that are nowhere near the end of production life. 

Spoiler
For instance: telemetery devices for implantable medical devices that physicians commonly use to check-up on pacemakers etc...  These usually run on rather stable OS's that have been around a while.  The GPIB interface is needed to take remote control of the interface for Test purposes.

Not that I have any first hand knowledge. Smiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,781 Views)

I posted To a three year old thread bumped by a blue-bar.  Pity.

Martiko, you're a bit late with the advice.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,774 Views)