Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-GPIB communicating with SR245

I have a PCI-GPIB card and I am having problems communicating with the SR245.

• I am using Windows XP, LabVIEW 2010 service pack 1, GPIB driver version 2.8 (newest one found on NI).
  • I am not able to GPIB WRITE and returns an error code "6" (timeout error EABO).
  • I've triple checked the appropriate terminal commands (mode 3) and have also tried all the possible combinations just in case. 
  • Using the same GPIB card, I am able to communicate with other devices without problems so I have ruled out the possibility of a bad GPIB card. 
  • Using another computer running Windows 98, I can also communicate with the SR245 with the SAME cable so I've ruled out the possibility of a faulty SR245 and cable length problem.

I have checked and read all the forums and was not able to find a solution. My SR245 is less than 6 months old so I don't think the solution using the 270 pF capacitor applies to my problem. Using Measurement and Automation, I can see the device with its respective GPIB address. When I try communicating with it, I get the EABO error.

I would appreciate any help. I will try using a shorter cable length tomorrow as well. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,707 Views)

fixed the problem.

seems like trying to communicate with MAX messed up the SR245, changing the GPIB address solved the problem. I opened up MAX again to see if it was simply because of a GPIB address conflict with another device but got the same error and it stopped working again. Changing the GPIB address of the SR245 solved the problem again and now I am forbidding myself in opening MAX ever again.

Think tank, Thunk!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,701 Views)