From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC can't find the serial port

I use labview to inteface my avr , actually to control the servo motors of robot.

the problem is program can't find the serial port (the exact com).

I have attached the file here. the program has subprogram which i named search (the job os search is to find the port or the com which I connect the usb converter)

i used RS-232 usb converter to connect the microcontroller (PCB) to PC 

plz helm me over this I have to finish it by end of this month

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,469 Views)

i forgot to tell before it was working and it could find the ports but now i dun know what happend.

maybe because I have cut the file and past it another place??? can be ???

what should i do now?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,468 Views)

The LabVIEW code won't be able to find the serial port if they don't show up in Device Manager. So, you need to look there. You should also open Measurement and Automation Explorer to see if you see them. If they show up in Device Manager that means the USB converter is probably working. If they don't show up in MAX then it means you have some driver software missing. Check to see if you have NI-VISA and NI-Serial installed (the latter assuming you have a National Instruments RS-232 to USB converter). You can check what NI software you have installed in MAX as well.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,450 Views)

I really apreciat your help sir

but the program was working as you can see I have attached it, also I check usb converter with advance serial port terminal software and it works ,

I think because I have cut that file and put it somewhere else, is it right? maybe it should be some files in same folder, is it right? 

can you plz consider the program which I attached it and tell me if there is any problem.

thanks a lot sir 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,448 Views)

Cutting and pasting the file would have no bearing on this situation. What's important in your Search VI is what is returned by the VISA Find Resource. Have you put a probe on that function's output to see what array is actually being returned? Again, look in MAX to see what's being recognized. Checking the USB converter with "advanced" serial port terminal software only verifies that the device is recognized by the computer. It does not mean anything with respect to MAX and/or LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,445 Views)

thank you sir 

i will do your advice and inform u about reslut.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,443 Views)