Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orion Star pH Meter Serial Communication

I have a ThermoScientific Orion Star A211 pH meter which I am trying to communicate with using LabVIEW and the simple serial example VI. The manual says the command to send is GETMEAS. When I use Hyperterminal I have no problems sending the command and receiving the response. However in LabVIEW I only get an echo of the command and not the response string. Any ideas?

I did see this thread which seems to be exactly my problem but when I put in GETMEAS\r\n I still don't get any response. I am using LV2016.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Orion-5-Star-pH-Cond-meter-double-string/m-p...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,966 Views)

Are you able to send any other commands or is it just this one? Have you sent a *IDN? command? Do you have NI-VISA installed and if so which version? Could you also link the manual if you found it online? I can't seem to find it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,883 Views)

I actually just figured this out late yesterday after digging around some more. The issue was the response from the instrument was multiple lines and I needed to disable the termination character when configuring the serial port. I could see that the bytes at port was 119 but I was only getting back around 30 which was just the echo before the actual data.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Serial-read-from-pH-meter-giving-me-varied-ou...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,878 Views)

Hello,

I have the same problem with this model of pH meter, Would you please tell me how did you solve this issue?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,047 Views)

Make sure enable termination character is F on initialization and wait about 1500 ms from a write command before reading back the data:

nasu_0-1615909313590.png

nasu_1-1615909348151.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,031 Views)

Hello Nasu,

thank you so much for you help, could you please upload the Visa file, then I can work on that. I am stuck on this and my project has stopped just because of that. I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,021 Views)