From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omega instrument driver for CN77000 (need to acquire data via RS-232)

I am trying to find an instrument driver to use to acquire data from the Omega CN77000 (Model CN77333-C2) Series Controller and I only see that NI offers an instrument driver for the Omega  76000 which seems to have RS-485 digital output while I'm trying to acquire data via RS-232 with my Omega CN77000 controller.  How can I find an instrument driver for this model?  Or is there an easy way to modify the 76000 instrument driver?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,318 Views)
Hi

Depending on how exactly the rs485 is implemented and how much the serial protocols between the two series differ it is easy or
you are writing a complete new driver.
RS485 is normally the way to connect multiple devices to a pc with one cable.
These instruments need an addres to differentiate between them. So mostly an addres is added in the beginning of the command.
Sometimes RS485 is a hardware replacement  for rs232  to achieve longer distances between instrument and pc only.
This should be called rs422 and only the levels and wiring are different from rs232, normally the commands (syntax) is identical to rs232.

So you see, a lot of options that easily can be detected by comparing the driver with your manual (if the manual is written correct).
Good luck.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,314 Views)
Hi

Depending on how exactly the rs485 is implemented and how much the serial protocols between the two series differ it is easy or
you are writing a complete new driver.
RS485 is normally the way to connect multiple devices to a pc with one cable.
These instruments need an addres to differentiate between them. So mostly an addres is added in the beginning of the command.
Sometimes RS485 is a hardware replacement  for rs232  to achieve longer distances between instrument and pc only.
This should be called rs422 and only the levels and wiring are different from rs232, normally the commands (syntax) is identical to rs232.

So you see, a lot of options that easily can be detected by comparing the driver with your manual (if the manual is written correct).
Good luck.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,314 Views)