From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting output from pic-servo board

Greetings everyone and thanks in advance. I wish to use a Pic-Servo SC controller  board (http://www.jrkerr.com/) to control a single stepper motor, using LabView. Here's what I've done so far:

-I already have installed 32 and 64 bit LabView (2011) and tried the test program in both

-VISA controller is properly installed

-USB to Serial FT232R converter is also installed, and configured in 19200 baud rate

-COM3 port is shown as the assigned port for the controller, and selected as such in LV

So far, I have managed to get the test program to run without communication errors, but upon sending any commands to the motor, it is completely unresponsive and behaves like it has no current or controller attached, despite it being configured in the basic 1-motor setup specified by Jrkerr site.

Any help, comment or suggestion about how I could manage to get the motor moving will be welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,674 Views)

I would not be surprised at all that you are getting nothing.  The device is RS-485  (Wrong USB to Serial adaptor)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,442 Views)

I see... what puzzles me is, I can communicate with the board, and when I turn the motor dial manually the encoder reacts and I actually get a response. Either way, what controller could you suggest?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,423 Views)
Van you attach the manual? I get an error every time I try. I'm not convinced that it is RS485 from the brief product description. It talks about buying a RS232-RS485 adapter to communicate to multiple controllers.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,408 Views)

the on device chip is http://www.linear.com/product/LTC491

I'm fairly certain the USB to RS-232 converter isn't helping

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,378 Views)