Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to have visa to write to text file

Solved!
Go to solution

There is a RFS150 strain gauge, TS621 amplifier, analog input PCMCIA card, then power supply and display (DPM 501). I am not sure what it all consist of because it was all assembled then handed to me. It is all supposed to be connected using DASYlab, but I have no experience so I recommended LabVIEW. 

The load cell is connected to the TS621 that is then connected to the RS-232C. It has a power supply connected to the components and then the TS621 is connected to the display. 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(603 Views)

Since it was all handed to you perhaps it is time to create detailed schematics of how it is all interconnected to help you understand the setup.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(597 Views)

Do you know of a solution to my .vi that I posted so that, with my equipment, it is able to output to a file/graph?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(593 Views)

@Stephenyoung wrote:

There is a RFS150 strain gauge, TS621 amplifier, analog input PCMCIA card, then power supply and display (DPM 501). I am not sure what it all consist of because it was all assembled then handed to me. It is all supposed to be connected using DASYlab, but I have no experience so I recommended LabVIEW. 

An analog input PCMCIA card?  Is the amplifier wired to that?

And since you mentioned DASYlab, you are likely using a Measurement Computing card and should be using the ULx driver.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(589 Views)

Yes, I believe it is also wired to that. Do I just need to install that driver?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(585 Views)

@Stephenyoung wrote:

Yes, I believe it is also wired to that. Do I just need to install that driver?

I don't know what your card is, so I cannot say that driver will work.  I was just guessing due you being told it was to be used with DASYlab.

Seriously, you need to stop and just figure out exactly what your black box here is.  Figure out exactly what all devices involved are and exactly how they are wired.  From there, we can give better advice.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(576 Views)

The drivers are blocked by my company so that's not going to work as of now. What exactly do you need to know? I have listed everything that is connected and all the information I know. No one else knows much about it that I am aware of. 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(568 Views)

@Stephenyoung wrote:

What exactly do you need to know? I have listed everything that is connected and all the information I know. No one else knows much about it that I am aware of. 

What is the model of the Analog Input card?  Who built it?  Did it come with a driver?  How sure are you of what is wired where?

You kept saying that the output of the amplifier goes to a RS232.  Are you referring to an actual serial port on your computer or it is just a 9-pin connector going into something else?  It makes no sense at all that the output of the amplifier goes straight to a serial port.  That amplifier that you listed earlier has nothing to do with RS232.  You need an Analog to Digital converter of some sort for the computer to read the data.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(561 Views)

The parts list says it is a Standard DGH 1141 module. I am not sure who built it or if it came with drivers. I am pretty positive on the wiring because I've traced all the cables back. The strain gauge is connected through a transducer to the TS621. The TS621 hooks into the RS232 and then it outputs to a 9pin female that I have hooked to a 9 pin male to USB cable. 

I think that the TS621 is used to output the electrical signal form the strain gauge. Could it be possible there there isn't an actual converter to change the signal?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(558 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephenyoung

@Stephenyoung wrote:

The TS621 hooks into the RS232 and then it outputs to a 9pin female that I have hooked to a 9 pin male to USB cable. 

I think that the TS621 is used to output the electrical signal form the strain gauge. Could it be possible there there isn't an actual converter to change the signal?

This is what we were trying to get to.  A DB-9 connector does not mean RS232.  In fact, RS232 was actually based on a DB-25.  So it looks like you just have an analog output from the box.  You will need a DAQ to read the voltages.  For a cheap NI DAQ, the USB-6000 should work.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(550 Views)