Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No response from power supply Gen 40-125 by serial rs 232

Indeed it was, I have correct it based on the manual, still no change

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,446 Views)

Hello again,

How are you sending the commands? Using LabVIEW?

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,433 Views)

Hello again, thank you for your continuos assistance, I´m sorry for my lack of knowledge,

I have a VI for serial communication that I know works (I havent used it yet, wouldnt work), I´m first trying to make it work in NI MAX, in the VISA test panel with the I/O. 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,429 Views)

You don't have a sample that can be .exe that works?

With that we could sniffer the bytes and check were the problem is.

I can see that they have LabVIEW drivers. The sample in LabVIEW also should work.

The first command that you can send is the address:

"The address (“ADR n”) command must return an “OK” response before any other commands are accepted. 7.5.1. Data Format Serial data format is 8 bit, one start bit and one stop bit. No parity bit. 7.5.2. Addressing The Address is sent separately from the command. It is recommended to add 100msec delay between query or sent command to next unit addressing. Refer to Section 7.7.3 for details. 7.5.3. End of Message The end of message is the Carriage Return character (ASCII 13). The power supply ignores the Line Feed (ASCII 10) character."

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,425 Views)

You don't have a sample that can be .exe that works?

With that we could sniffer the bytes and check were the problem is.

I´m using a modified version of the serial example of labview, but I´m not using it, I´m trying to get a response in NI MAX.

@Jorge_Amaral  I can see that they have LabVIEW drivers. The sample in LabVIEW also should work.

The first command that you can send is the address:

"The address (“ADR n”) command must return an “OK” response before any other commands are accepted. 7.5.1. Data Format Serial data format is 8 bit, one start bit and one stop bit. No parity bit. 7.5.2. Addressing The Address is sent separately from the command. It is recommended to add 100msec delay between query or sent command to next unit addressing. Refer to Section 7.7.3 for details. 7.5.3. End of Message The end of message is the Carriage Return character (ASCII 13). The power supply ignores the Line Feed (ASCII 10) character."

If I use the program just like this, there´s no response, it just waits indefinitely.

Could my power supply be the one with malfunction?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,408 Views)

I can't be sure but my bet it's that the power supply is ok. And the typical problems ate:

1. Cable (really important to be sure)

2. Serial Settings 

In the PSU you also need to be sure about the id (usually is only necessary in rs485).

I also had some problems with usb to rs232 converters. The voltage level were incorrect.

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,404 Views)

Hello,

Have you Found a solution?

Br,

Jorge Amaral

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com