From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No response from power supply Gen 40-125 by serial rs 232

Hello, I´ve been trying to control a power supply from my pc using rs 232.

manual here http://www.us.tdk-lambda.com/hp/pdfs/Product_manuals/83515000.pdf

With it I set up the correct serial settings; Baud rate,data bits, etc.

I download the drivers of the company (even if my model isnt there I was told they would work just fine), as you may know there´s a example there but even while appearing to work in code it doesnt irl. It doesn´t do anything. ni drivers

I´ve used NI MAX to try to communicate, to test first (but I already have a program to send commands). By doing so I´ve gotten this error; 

after the command it says 

Write Operation (\sADR\s06\r\s)
No Error

Read STB Operation
Error

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

I believe this is due to a no response.

I tried using the method in this thread, the last comment: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Serial-Communication-with-TDK-Lambda/td-p/29... with no success.

I have found in other similar threads that it may be due to the cable, I use a rj45-db9 and db9-usb, I have use succesfully a db9-db9 and a db9-usb, and not the original cable. I´ve used this same setup to communicate to a multimeter.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,361 Views)

It should not be a VGA cable.  Those are 15 pin cables.  RS232 is typically a 9 pin cables.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,351 Views)

excuse me,it was a db9 I edit it

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(4,349 Views)

Hello,

You should Be using the cable (P/N: GEN/232-9) listed on page 74. And selected the rear switch:

"Select the desired interface RS232 or RS485 using rear panel setup switch SW1-6 (Section 4.4).  RS232: DOWNposition  RS485: UPposition b) Connect rear panel IN connector to the controller RS232 or RS485 port using a suitable"

I think that you  Can use a simple serial terminal to test the communication. You don't really need To be worried with that now.

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,331 Views)

A couple of notes:

1. There is no STB response from this supply.  It does not completely follow the SCPI guidelines.
  2. Try something like:
ADR 06\r
STT?\r

Example response: MV(45.201),PV(45), MC(4.3257), PC(10), SR(30), FR(00)

Normally, I would say that each command for SCPI should end with the \n (Newline) character.  Here might be different.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(4,305 Views)

Hello, thank you for answering, the switch is in that position, and the cable is in the IN as well. Do you have some other idea of what it could be?  I'm baffle.

I believe I'm using the correct cable, but it was given to me from someone of IT.  I'll show some pics.

Thank you

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(4,295 Views)

Hello, thank you, I tried your commands, but it still gives me the same error,  do you have any other insigth?

When I work with a multimeter I had no problem communicating.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(4,293 Views)

Hello,

Use a miltimeter and the pinout on page 74 to be sure. It's a waste of time the other odeas if the cable it's not correct.

I believe that you must send a termination char. Are you doing that?

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(4,288 Views)

@Jorge_Amaral  ha escrito:

Hello,

Use a miltimeter and the pinout on page 74 to be sure. It's a waste of time the other odeas if the cable it's not correct.

I believe that you must send a termination char. Are you doing that?

I believe the guy from IT gave me an incorrect configuration for the cable, I'm already correcting it, I'll let know what happens.

I was sending it at first, but stop doing as it say so in the thread I posted.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(4,279 Views)

I concur with Jorge, it looks like the wiring of the cable is incorrect based on the picture you posted of the RJ-45 end.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(4,278 Views)