Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to GPIB and LV

Hello all,

I am very new to LV and GPIB stuff. I needed basic help for the same. I have to communicate with Agilent E34401 DMM,  E 3648A DC power supply.I have DC load Agilent N3300A. I started the Measurement and Intrumentation Explorer and could identify these instruments connect via GPIB. I also have a scope Tek's  TDS2014. I need to use these instruments to do power efficiency measurements using LV. like measuring input current/voltage output current/voltage. How do I do the same? I want to know how i can trigger these instruments and control them via LV. a step by step help would make me understand this system.

I also want to know do I need a DAQ card or GPIB can work to read voltage and current with the instruments.

I would greatly apprecite if someone can guide me in this.I am using the help from LV 8.2 and Measurement and Instrumentation explorer.
Thanks in advance.

RKD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,441 Views)

First, you don't need a DAQ board. All you need is the GPIB controller. The instruments take a measurement and return the results over the bus.

For the rest of your question, I would suggest you go to http://www.ni.com/devzone/idnet/ and learn something about LabVIEW and instrument drivers. All of your instruments have drivers available for them and that will make your life a lot easier. Most, if not all, of the drivers will include a high level example VI to get you started. Another thing that I recomend is that you study the instrument manuals and learn how you configure a measurement manually. If you get familiar with the instrument front panel controls, then it's easier to relate that to the remote control commands that the drivers will issue.

Message 2 of 6
(3,438 Views)

Thank you Dennis. I will follow that. and if I need anything  iwill post it on this board. Its good to know that I dont need a DAQ card. I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,434 Views)
You may also want to look at ni.com/icfundamentals.  This site is specifically designed for those people beginning instrument control
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,425 Views)

Thanks, I was going through the same,

I tried to communicate with E34401A and it gives me error I put  *IDN? query request, then did a write and a read and it gives me error on the dispaly of 34401, i am unable to comprehend it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,420 Views)
If you put a query then u just have to read the data returned by the intstrument. Dont give again the write command.
Labview 8.2
Learner
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,409 Views)