Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network down and NI Max cannot connect to GPIB, but the computer it is plugged into can ping the device.

My work's network went down yesterday and our test computer crashed. This required us to restart the computer the GPIB ENET 1000 is connected to. When trying to run our program in LabVIEW an error message popped up saying the GPIB could not be found.

We cycled the power on the GPIB, opened NI MAX to find the device which showed it could not connect. We opened a command prompt and successfully communicated with the device, but for some reason, LabVIEW and NI Max could not locate the device.

Does the GPIB require a functioning network connection to communicate with NI Max and LabVIEW? It was my assumption that because it is connected via Ethernet, access to the network would not be an issue.

Could anyone give any guidance as to how the device uses the network and why a network connection is needed?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,362 Views)

Hi EmHill,

Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing in MAX?

Jen P.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,331 Views)

plattypusrex,

Unfortunately due to the nature of my job we had to quickly try and fix the situation and I was not able to screenshot any screens in NI Max. The device did have a red x over it in the tree menu on the left side and it stated the GPIB could not be found.

Since this has happened twice during network outages it is safe to assume it will happen again. When it does, I will send a screenshot of what NI Max is saying.

EmHill

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,314 Views)