From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help setting up GPIB with Agilent 34970A

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a windows 10 PC and two Agilent /Keysight 34970A's. I am trying to set up a VI to communicate with one of these over GPIB to USB. I was able to use the example for serial to USB just fine, but the GPIB is stumping me. I was using the Advanced Scan example for the serial communication case, but I cannot find one for GPIB to try.

Are there any tutorials for setting up communications between Labview and an Agilent DAQ over GPIB?

Also are there any good tutorials for learning GPIB communications with Labview? I need to learn to set communications with a few other machines with GPIB

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,052 Views)

Which GPIB interface card do you use?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,015 Views)

Using the attached Simple VISA virtual instrument only has a single change between GPIB control and USB control.  All of the SCPI commands are exactly the same.  Only change the VISA resource name for the appropriate interface and it will continue to work seamlessly.

For example, try the query (in the write buffer) with either interface connected and the response should be the same.

*idn?\n

LV2012 VISAwrc.png

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 3 of 9
(4,008 Views)

The computer itself doesnt have a built in GPIB card. We are using a Agilent 82357B USB to GPIB interface though.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,999 Views)

Is this a built in Labview example or something you spun on your own? I cant seem to find it if it is the former

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,994 Views)

It is my own.  Open LabVIEW then drag the image into a new VI and you will be ready to run.

If it helped - KUDOS
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,989 Views)

Dragging the image from my browser (Chrome) into a New VI didn't work. I must be missing something. It just drops the link to the picture. Same deal with saving the picture and dragging the file in. I am using the 2018 evaluation version. Would that make a difference?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,979 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MisCrEl

Here, try this attachment instead.

If it helped - KUDOS
Message 8 of 9
(3,958 Views)

That works! I can now read and write to the GPIB device I need to. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,952 Views)