From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-VISA installation freezing on 64 bit Windows 10?

Solved!
Go to solution

When trying to install NI-VISA 16.0 on Windows 10 (64-bit OS and 64-bit processor), NI's installer gets about 90% of the way through installation and then my PC freezes completely (i.e. Screen doesn't update, no mouse or keyboard interaction, need to restart my PC) and it fails to install.

I tried installing uninstalling all NI products and installing an earlier version of NI-VISA (15.0.1) just to see if that would work and received an error popup during install:

The "VISA.NET Shared Components 64-Bit" installation has failed with the following error:

VISA Shared Components 5.5 or higher must be installed before installing VISA.NET Shared Components.

According to IVI, these Shared Components should be included in the NI-VISA install from the vendor (i.e. NI), but apparently aren't or can't be found by the installer.

Anyone have any ideas on this or have any success installing NI-VISA 15.0/16.0 on Win 10 64-bit?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,188 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bd8

Hello,

May I ask where you are installing NI-VISA 16 from? I would recommend downloading NI-VISA from the following link .

NI-VISA 16.0 - Pharlap ETS, NI Linux Real Time, VxWorks, Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Server 2012 R2 64-bit/Server 2008 R2 64-bit

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-16.0/6184/en/

When you have that downloaded, it would be helpful to install it while started in Safe Mode to prevent any startup applications from interfering with the installation.

Best,

Shamik C

Applications Engineer 

National Instruments 

http://www.ni.com/support 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,145 Views)

Hi

I'm having the same problem, but I'm installing NI-VISA 17.5, which I have downloaded form NI NIVISA1750full.exe, installing into A WINDOWS 7 64 Bts OS 

Untitled.jpeg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,790 Views)

Hi 

I'm replying to my own post, this is how I solved. 

Since I'm working with an Agilent Technologies instruments 53210A, 34970A & 8648C; what I did was to install Agilent Technologies IO Libraries IOLibSuite_18_1_23218.exe then I was able to install NIVISA1750full.exe

Hopefully this helps. 

Regards 

F Casian 

Message 4 of 6
(5,779 Views)

I'm having the same issue on my installation.  Did you ever find a resolution?

Sincerely,
Mark Randel
Software Guy at SpaceX

Certified LabVIEW Architect Certified LabVIEW Architect Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,022 Views)