Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI_VISA install errors on Windows 2008 R2

I have installed LabView 2009 SP1 on a relatively modern PC (XeonW3520, 12 GB RAM, Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise) computer running some equipment in an optics lab.  However, I got a variety of errors during installation of drivers.  As I need to communicate with a NI GPIB-Enet/1000, I tried installing the 2.8.0 version of 488.2.  However I got 4 errors.  Per the install program, I rebooted and tried reinstalling.  That did not get rid of the errors.  The errors were of the form:

The "NI-DIM 1.11.0f0 for 64 Bit Windows" has failed with the following error:

Error 1722.  There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A program run

as part of the setup did not finish as expected.  Contact your support personnel or

package vendor.

I answered yes at the continue prompt.  Other errors were with:

NI-MDBG 1.10.0f0

NI-MXDF 1.11.5f1

NI-ORB 1.9.3f0

(all for 64 Bit Windows).

I then figured out that these are part of NI-VISA so I downloaded the most recent version

I could find (5.0.3) and tried to install that.  I got the same errors, rebooted and tried again

and got the fun "Please correct the problem and try again" message.

Any hints on how to correct the problem?

I'm logged in as Administrator and on the machine console (remote desktop is configured and licensed as that is part of our site license).

Will these errors prevent LabView from working correctly?

Will they prevent programs compiled with C++/C using IEEE-488 from working correctly?

I have been running a slightly older version of LabView under Windows Server 2008 (32-bit, not R2) and didn't have installation problems.  I was using the 32-bit version of Server as some hardware I'm using only had 32-bit support (of both Server 2003 and Server 2008) until recently.

Thanks,

Stuart

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,419 Views)

Hi Stuart,

This problem is usually related to the anti-virus software. Try disabling your anti-virus software while installing the drivers. Check out this KnowledgeBase article that describes this problem:

Why Do I Get Internal Errors 1722 and 2329 During Driver Installation?

Take care!

Tanya Visser
National Instruments
LabVIEW Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,395 Views)

Tanya,

I removed the anti-virus software (Sophos) and the auto-update for it and rebooted.  I then removed all NI software and rebooted.  I then installed 2009 SP1 64 bit Labview.  No errors.  However there were 10 errors while installing the default set of software from the Feb 2010 Driver DVD.  I rebooted and then installed version 2.8 of 488.2 (download) and got four errors.  I then tried version 5.0.3 of VISA (download) and that gave the same four errors.  I tried it on two separate machines, both running Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise.  One machine is a dual quad-core Xeon with 24 GB of RAM and the other is a single quad-core Xeon with 12 GB of RAM.  I get exactly the same errors on each machine from the Driver DVD.  I need 488.2 as we run various 488 instruments over ethernet (NI ENET/100 boxes).  Any other ideas on how to get the 64 Bit drivers to install on Server 2008 R2?

Stuart

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,341 Views)

Hi Stuart,

To help us troubleshoot this further, could you create an installation log? You could send over private messaging if you don't want to post it to the forum. This KnowledgeBase provides instructions on how to do this.

Creating an Error Log File for a Software Installation

Also, make sure that the installation directory is not read-only. Even if you are administrator, certain directories will not have write permissions.

What drivers will you need for your application? Will you be using NI-VISA? If not, you could choose not to install it with NI-488.2.

Have a great day!

Tanya Visser
National Instruments
LabVIEW Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,293 Views)

I've tried again.  Removed all NI software and removed the installation directory.  Rebooted and logged in as Administrator (Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise).  Installed LabView 2009 64-bit from a burned DVD (University site license) with logging enabled.  No errors shown on screen.  Rebooted.  Then installed the default stuff from the Feb 2010 driver DVD using logging.  Some errors but now in log.  Rebooted.  Then installed 2.8 of 488.2 (I have a new GPIB-ENET/1000 which requires 2.8) using logging.  Got errors but now in another log.  Rebooted.  Then installed VISA 5.0.3 with logging.  Got errors but now in yet another log.  Rebooted ...

I don't know if I need VISA or not.  The instrument VIs for some of the instruments connected by GPIB use VISA calls.  So I just did the default installs for drivers, 488.2 and then VISA.

I've zipped the four installation logs into one file - still quite large (25 MB).  I'll try attaching - no idea if it will work.

Does not work - got error (in pink) - so how should I get them to you?

Stuart

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,268 Views)

DId you ever get a answer to this?  I am getting the same messages.

John

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,835 Views)

No.  I ended up changing the machine OS to Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit as another hardware manufacturer dropped support of Server in newer versions of their drivers.  I had no issues in installing LabView (64-bit) and GPIB and VISA drivers (including the most recent versions) on Windows 7 64-bit.  Sorry I didn't find a solution so I can't suggest anything.

Stuart

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,826 Views)

What version of VISA are you attempting to install?

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,804 Views)

@OlliesCamel wrote:

What version of VISA are you attempting to install?

If you are responding to the person who originally posted (me), I'm no longer trying to install on Windows Server 2008R2 as a hardware manufacturer we use stopped supporting Server with their driver/software.  At the time (2011) they and NI both claimed support for Server 2008R2 (64-bit).  I never got VISA or GPIB (current versions at the time) to install without errors.  Some of our lab instruments communicate using IEEE-488 (we use various GPIB-ENET/100 or /1000 devices) and others use ethernet (motion controllers/turntables) and others use serial.  Some of our LabView code uses VISA calls (tcp/ip) so I need that and I need GPIB over ethernet.

Everything I need right now just works with Windows 7 64-bit so until I need some of the services (DHCP and routing stuff for multiple ethernet interfaces, etc) offered only in Server, I'm sticking with Windows 7.

Stuart

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,799 Views)

Sorry for the confusion; I was responding to rammer. 

In general though, here is the latest VISA download: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-5.4.1/4626/en/

It should support Windows Server 2008 R2. If you are having difficulties with that combination, I would like to know so that I can help pin down the issue.

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,789 Views)