From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VISA freezes when initializing

Why does NI VIsa configuration (version 5.3) freezes in initializing? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(5,580 Views)

Hi Spoudel,

Is that a fresh install? Or it had been working before?

Also, which OS are you using?

Carmen C.

Message 2 of 15
(5,546 Views)

Are you able to open VISA Interactive Control or use any other VISA functionality (in LabVIEW or MAX, for example?)

Message 3 of 15
(5,539 Views)

Its a fresh install in Mac OSX 10.8. I tried 5.1.2, and 5.3. None of them work! 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(5,519 Views)

That's definitely a major inconvenience. Do you have LabVIEW or any NI drivers installed on the machine aside from VISA? If so, could you provide the version information, please?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(5,510 Views)

Well, I have Labview 2010, but no other visa drivers. I am trying to link my arduino to Labview, hence NI VISA.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(5,501 Views)

I see... What about 488.2/GPIB? I've seen this before with older versions of this driver. If it was installed, there would likely be an Applications/National Instruments/NI-488.2 directory.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,498 Views)

Hi, were you able to solve this issue? I also got Arduino Uno and have exactly the same problem. NI-Visa freezes while initializing...

I am using Labview 32-bit 2011 on Mac OSX 10.8.4.

Let me know if you could make it work. I'm dying to get started with my Arduino!

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,416 Views)

I just installed VISA 5.4 on my Mac (OS X 10.8.4, 27" iMac) and NI-VISA Configuration.app runs without any problems.   I have had several earlier versions of VISA and multiple versions of LV on this computer.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,404 Views)

Thanks for the response Lynn. I have the same version of NI-Visa and OSX on a macbook pro. But still NI-Visa freezes on the initializing window.

Can you let me know if you are booting with 32-bit or 64-bit kernel?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,391 Views)