Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VISA Shared Components 64-bit version 15.5 fails when trying to install on Windows 11 ARM

Hello all,

I am trying to re-install a software which I use for my Taekwondo school called Truescore 2017.  It is an electronic system where it reads the sensors from contact of a foot protector and contact to a chest protector.  This software has worked in the past when I was running it on my MacBook Pro Intel processor running Windows 11 on a Parallels virtualization.  I have recently purchased a new MacBook Pro which uses an ARM processor and had to re-install the Parallels virtualization software and run Windows 11 ARM64.  Now whenever I try to run the Truescore 2017 software, it will process but will fail when it comes to the installation of NI VISA 15.5 Runtime Support.  I will receive the following error message:

VISA Shared Components 64-Bit:

Error 1304.  Error writing to file: Ivi.Visa.Interop.dll.  Verify that you have access to that directory.

I have tried installing both with my account and also running as Administrator with no success.

I have even checked the permissions and they are correct.

Would anyone know what would be causing the failure of the installation of the VISA Shared Components 64-bit?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,939 Views)

From what I have heard, NI Hardware drivers are not compatible with ARM architecture. Only Intel or AMD is supported.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,898 Views)

Thank you for the response Santhosh.

Is NI working on or planning in the future support of software and hardware drivers for the ARM architecture?

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,885 Views)

I am not aware of any such public announcements by NI, let us see if other forum members have any lead.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,882 Views)

Thank you Santhosh for your assistance.  It is greatly appreciated.

I am sure eventually there will be development for ARM based processors as this is fairly new from Apple.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,811 Views)

I was wondering if I can get an update on compatibility with Windows 11 ARM.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,432 Views)

Unfortunately, NI employees on the forum may not share any non-public information and the regular forum users don't have access to such information unless it was a public release.

If you need an official update, you need to raise a support ticket to get an answer (not guaranteed).

Edit: In general, any new feature/support for any product requires sufficient market demand and revenue from that demand to drive the efforts.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,427 Views)

A "blue screen of death" is repeatable when installing the NI-VISA driver on an M1 Pro MacBook Pro running Windows 11 for ARM in a Parallels VM. The OS was damaged and the only way back from this was a reset/recovery operation.

From this thread I see this is not a new problem and has persisted for some time. This driver is free software, unfortunately required by many other programs that aren't free. There appears to be no way to start a service request for NI-VISA. It's hard to see if there will be any solution soon other than using/buying an Intel or AMD machine to run it on.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(752 Views)

@tt4096 wrote:

A "blue screen of death" is repeatable when installing the NI-VISA driver on an M1 Pro MacBook Pro running Windows 11 for ARM in a Parallels VM. The OS was damaged and the only way back from this was a reset/recovery operation.

From this thread I see this is not a new problem and has persisted for some time. This driver is free software, unfortunately required by many other programs that aren't free. There appears to be no way to start a service request for NI-VISA. It's hard to see if there will be any solution soon other than using/buying an Intel or AMD machine to run it on.

There are a lot of things that are incompatible in your use case.

VISA 15.5 is not officially compatible with Win 11, next NI drivers are not designed to work in VMs like Parallels, next older drivers are not designed to work on ARM architecture.

https://www.ni.com/en/support/documentation/compatibility/17/ni-visa-and-operating-system-compatibil...

santo_13_0-1693845351262.png

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000PAiJSAW&l=en-US

So, in general, you're using a fully incompatible ecosystem and only option is to switch to a regular Windows Machine on Intel/AMD.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(729 Views)

NI has announced plans to discontinue LabVIEW for Mac OS after the 2023Q3 release, which is currently shipping. It's even questionable that they will release any bug fixes for this version. That makes LabVIEW 2023Q3 the only LabVIEW version that will ever run natively on Apple Silicon.

One of the drivers for this decision may be the fact that NI has currently no driver solution at all for any of their hardware for Apple Silicon machines. That in fact includes several parts of NI-VISA such as their USB-TMC driver and (shudder) USB-RAW driver that both rely on kernel drivers. Emulating kernel drivers on an M1/2 for an x64 application is simply impossible, Rosetta does not support that. And releasing a native Apple Silicon driver for any of the NI hardware including NI-VISA was apparently never anything more than a secret dream of a very few NI developers. The powers to be did not consider it worth the effort.

And chances that things will be considerably different for Windows 11 for ARM are very mute, unless Emerson Electric suddenly decides that all their offerings need from now on to support Windows on ARM. I have no idea how they could come to such a decision however.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(712 Views)