Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VISA Doesn't Match Windows Device Manager

I am attempting to communicate with a communications device class (CDC) USB Device.  NI VISA is displaying COM ports that don't exist.

Windows Device Manager displays two COM ports: COM3 and COM4.  These are correct.  NI VISA in LabVIEW displays: COM3, COM4, and COM4).  Sometimes VISA will show ASRL5 and ASRL6 as well.  This does not match what shows up in Windows Device Manager.  How the hell are the COM ports populated in VISA and why are they wrong!?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,034 Views)

First, it would be nice if you were to provide those two images.  I have seen that when running NI VISA, it requires the user to mention which configuration the software should be using (Windows or VISA).  Without that selection, sometimes ports would have dual options until one method or the other is chosen.  If that is the case for your configuration, then nothing is wrong as it requires user intervention in NI-MAX to select the preferred connection option.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(988 Views)

Here's a side-by-side screenshot

BigApple0_0-1631897248844.png

In this case, the device is present in the system and Device Manager correctly shows the device as present.  While VISA resource manager displays the device as 'Not Present'.

The opposite case is also true.  The device will go into standby/sleep and VISA will continue to incorrectly show the device as 'Present'.  While Device Manager removes the device from the list.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(961 Views)

Here's a screenshot of the other case.

COM4 is disconnected and stills shows up in VISA resource manager as present.

BigApple0_0-1631902634858.png

I'm not sure where the settings are to pick between Windows and VISA configuration.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(952 Views)

I find that doing [Refresh] in MAX does not update many things while doing [F5] does. Try it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(922 Views)

Thanks! Yes that worked. I never would have thought to do that.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(916 Views)

Nice work NI, bang-up job! 👍

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(908 Views)