Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-232 problem!!!

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I got the NI USB-232 cable, as I'm trying to connect my minolta LS100 luminance meter to use in labview. Before I even worry about the VI i've created for it, I can't seem to see the NI USB-232 in the "VISA resource name" on the Basic Serial Write & Read vi. I've correctly installed the driver for the cable and the driver is up to date, also I can see the port in device manager (as COM4) and I can see the cable in MAX.

Any idea's why I can't see it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,382 Views)

You say the drivers are up to date. Exactly what versions of NI-Serial and NI-VISA do you have installed? What OS? Can you attach screen shots of MAX and of the VISA pull down menu?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,378 Views)

Thanks for replying Dennis,

The screenprint of MAX is below. My OS is Windows 7 - 32 bit, and as you can see in the screenprint the NI-VISA is 5.4, NI-Serial 4.0.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,340 Views)

But you did not attach the MAX screenshot that shows Devices and Interfaces or the VISA dropdown.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,319 Views)

Apologizes! Here is the screen print showing the devices and interfaces. I'm pretty new to labview and MAX so how do I show the VISA pulldown part?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,316 Views)

Click on the pull down (the arrow on the right side) and then CTL-ALT-Print Screen.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,312 Views)

Click on the pull down (the arrow on the right side) and then CTL-ALT-Print Screen.

Again which pull down? Is it on that MAX window that I had shown in the screen shot?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,306 Views)

You said you cannot see the com port in the VISA Resource Name of the Basic Serial Write and Read. In order to see the listing, you must click on the pull down as I described. Perhaps your only problem is not selecting to view available ports.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,303 Views)

Oh sorry, I thought you mean't something on the MAX window, here is the Basic Read and Write VI, as I say even when I try anything and refresh it there is no COM4. The only other thing I could think of doing was to totally uninstall labview and all the programs connected with it (MAX, NI-DAQ etc) and then reinstall? Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,298 Views)

I don't think a reinstall is called for quite yet. When you select Com4 in MAX, do you have the right click option to Open VISA Test Panel? When the port is selected, what do you see in the window on the right side? There should be a window that displays the VISA Alias and Device Status.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,293 Views)