From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-PCI 8431

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a problem of writing frames with fixed frequency 200Hz(5mS) using the NI PCI-8431/2  and  LABVIEW 2013.

I cannot get frames with constant frequency 200Hz(5mS). The frequency is changed during communication.

Why?

Please open enclosed vi and scope picture from the port output of the NI-PCI-8431.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(5,958 Views)
You have a baud rate of 1Mb. What do you mean by a frequency of 200 Hz?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(5,945 Views)

I want send 16 bytes(in this case 16"1")  -  this is my frame - with constant period of 5mS (200 Hz).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(5,939 Views)
Are you talking about the wait function in your loop? That is not at all deterministic on a Windows os. You would need a real-time os to send this.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(5,936 Views)

Ok.

But the time cannot change so : 5mS,10mS,20mS... Please take a look to the picture from the scope.

I can change the While Loop to the Timed Loop,but  I will have the same result.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(5,929 Views)
Of course it can change. The time between iterations will be a minimum of what you set because between iterations, the os will be doing whatever it wants to do. That is strictly a function of a multi-threaded, non-deterministic os. A timed loop is no better. It has nothing at all to do with LabVIEW. You will see the same uncertainty with any programming language. Either switch to LabVIEW real-time or live with the small amount of jitter.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(5,926 Views)

OK.Thanks.

What do u mean :"LABVIEW real time" ? Do  I have to use some of  real time  NI  board ?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(5,920 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alex62
No. It's an alternative operating system to Windows.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/11766
Message 8 of 19
(5,915 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alex62

Thanks a lot.

I will think about  real  time LABVIEW module.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(5,909 Views)

For LabVIEW RealTime, you will nee an NI RT controller.  These are most common in cRIO or PXI.  So you may not be able to use the PCI-8431 anymore.  Possibly the PXI version of that card if you use a PXI RT controller.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 10 of 19
(5,905 Views)