Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-MAX is not detecting the LXI instrument!!!

hi,
We are using NI-MAX for Configuring the Virualname to IVI-Configuration store for all LXI (IVI) instruments.
The NI-Max is autodetecting the LXI instruments in some of our Sytem and not in some others!!!
I hope It's using VXI-11 for autodiscovery,
Is there any thing Specific ( i mean any network setting or security setting )to the  VXI-11 we need to do in our system??

any help will be appericiable

thanks in advance

bharathi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,273 Views)
Hi bharathi,

Do you have more than one active Ethernet adapter in your system?
What type of devices are not being auto-detected?
A Wireshark (www.wireshark.org) capture during the auto-detect attempt would be helpful to look at.
Please see Brian's post in this forum thread for more details on how we detect LXI instruments.
Thanks.

Gavin Fox
Systems Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,261 Views)

hi Gavin,

Thanks for your response.

We are using DCPS from Soreson.

It may not be the problem with the instrument because some our's NI-MAX is detecting the instrument,it is not detecting in several others NI-MAX.

so am thinnking that could be a problem with System settings somewhere!!!!

thanks

bharathi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,250 Views)
Do you have the same version of NI-VISA on all of the systems?  You check by opening MAX and expanding Software to find NI-VISA.  If you click on it or the VISA runtime it should show the version.

-Josh
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,241 Views)

thanks for ur response.

ya, we are having the same version of visa 4.1 on all system.

thanks

bharathi

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,237 Views)
Hi bharathi,

Please follow these steps if you would like to get a useful Wireshark capture for us.
  1. Close LabVIEW and other NI software, and only load VISA Interactive Control on a system that doesn't seem to be working.
  2. Start capturing in Wireshark.
  3. Open a session to your power supply using the resource string of something like "TCPIP0::192.168.0.4::inst0::INSTR".  The IP address in that string should be replaced by your Sorenson power supply IP address.
  4. In the Basic I/O tab, Write "*IDN?\n" to the device.
  5. In the Basic I/O tab, Read from the device.
  6. Stop capturing in Wireshark as soon as you get a response or it times out.
Thanks!

Gavin Fox
Systems Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,219 Views)
Bharathi,

As Gavin mentioned, a wireshark capture would be helpful. But the thing we want to capture is not what Gavin said but the process of finding the device. So for this, repeat the following steps from the machine that finds the instrument, and the machine that doesn't find the instrument. Also, I would like you to confirm that the machine that doesn't find the instrument is in the same subnet as the instrument.

So the steps to follow are:
1. Get wireshark ready to capture, but don't start yet.
2. In MAX, go to the wizard to add a TCPIP device, make sure you select 'Auto-detect...' but don't do next yet.
3. Start wireshark capture.
4. Press next in the wizard.
5. Stop the capture as soon as you either see you instrument in the list or the wizard completes without finding it.
6. Save the capture in .pcap format.

Once you have both the captures, please post them here and we can try to see why MAX can't detect your instrument in some cases.

Pankaj
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,209 Views)
hello, have you already find out the specific process of the auto-detection utility by VXI-11 through your capture?
could you give us specific description about that?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,670 Views)