Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI MAX can't detect instrument but the instrument can be pinged

Hi,

I'm in the process of connecting a Lecroy oscilloscope to a cpu via a cross over cable with plans of controlling the scope through some VIs. I cannot get NI MAX to find the oscilloscope, even though I can ping it. Below are the steps I've taken:

1) Installed NI-VISA and VICPPassport along with all the appropiate Lecroy drivers for Labview

2) Configured the IP addresses of the scope and CPU and successfully pinged each other (no firewalls active, same subnet, connected with cross-over cable).

3) Installed Lecroy's wavestudio software, established succesful communication with the scope (it had no trouble finding it automatically)

4) Opened NI MAX and tried to auto detect the scope using create new TCP/IP option. Failed. Also, the manual option failed as well.

I don't understand why I can ping the insturment, and interact with it using wavestudio, but NI MAX can't find it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,799 Views)
Search the board for 'LeCroy ethernet' to see some answers from LeCroy. One suggestion is that you must use the LXI interface in order for MAX to see the scope. The other is to use vicp and not MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,795 Views)

Hello adr5109,

Newer versions of NI-MAX do not work anymore with the VICP passport.  This started when the VISA Interactive Tool interface GUI changed.  As long as you are not using the interface to the scope with WaveStudio or some other appliation, you can just open LabVIEW and start using the resource right away.  You just have to make sure the VICP passport is installed and that you check the box in MAX to enable it.

In MAX, go to Tools\NI VISA\VISA Options...  select "Passports" and there is a check box for the passport:

Capture.JPG

Leonard Brown

Applications Engineer

TeledyneLeCroy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,763 Views)

I am able to access the scope via wavestudio and I have the VICPpassport installed, however I cannot access the scope in Labview. I have the feeling that it might be a blocked port, what port number does Labview communicate on?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,702 Views)

@SimonWall wrote:

I am able to access the scope via wavestudio and I have the VICPpassport installed, however I cannot access the scope in Labview. I have the feeling that it might be a blocked port, what port number does Labview communicate on?

2013 uses port 3364 by default

2012 and earlier use port 3363 by default

All versions default to "Main Application Instance/VI Server" as the sevice name.

Port and service name can be modified from the LabVIEW Menu "Tools>>Options>>VI Server>> Protocols-TCP\IP"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,688 Views)

Hello SimonWall,

The VICP pport (the rules of the post do not allow me to use the word p&$$port correctly) uses port 1861.  The firmware on the TeledyneLeCroy scope will setup firewall rules to allow the LXI and the VICP connections.  Typically, the issues with a block are either the fact that WaveStudio (or some other application) is still connected to the device when attempting the connection, anti-virus software that has been installed on the scope, or the scope has been connected to a company network that implements policies that have blocked it.

There is an app. note on the TeledyneLeCroy website that describes the VICPpport (and has the port information as well) that may help you: (Due to the rules of the community for posting here, I cannot add the link, but you can search on VICP from here)  TeledyneLeCroy App Notes

I hope this helps!

Leonard Brown

Applications Engineer

TeledyneLeCroy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,658 Views)

Thanks for the information, in the end the issue does not seem to be related to ports and I think there is another issue.

I am running labview 2012 64 bit version. However, I can access the scope without problem on Labview 2011 32 bit version. 

At some point I managed to get Labview 2012 64 bit version to communicate correctly with the scope but after restarting, it stopped working! I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything, but it will not communicate again. 

Any help will be greatly appricated. 

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,632 Views)