Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI I/O Trace files moving across platforms

I am using NI I/O Trace to work on a serial port problem I am having on a Windows 7 computer.  So far, so good.  I move the files to look for the issues to a Mac, which also has NI I/O Trace installed on it.  The crazy thing is, depending on how I transfer the files, they are perfectly fine, or huge but with no legible data in them.  If the files are emailed as attachments, they are fine.  If I load them onto a USB drive from the Windows machine and then read them on the Mac, they are empty of data but recognized as not zero size.  Any idea what is happening here?  It sounds like there might be a byte order issue, but why is one method of transfer different than the other, and what can I do about it?

Bart

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,350 Views)

Is your thumb drive configured as FAT32? This format should allow you to look at the files on both Windows and Mac.

Carl W.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,336 Views)

Yes, it is FAT32.  Other files are perfectly legible, such as LabVIEW vis.  I am only having trouble with the Trace files that moved on the USB drive.  Files moved as email attachments are working fine with the Mac version of trace.  They only have this unusual behavior in the Mac Trace program if they are read off the USB drive.  A different computer than the one that wrote them, but also Windows, can read them just fine also.  There is something about the USB and Mac that is having the trouble.

Bart

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,333 Views)

This seems like an odd behavior. I am going to try this and get back with you.

Carl W.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,321 Views)