Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI GPIB-USB not showing up in VISA resource dropdown

Currently I'm using the NI GPIB-USB-HS to communicate with a YK1600 PM via custom VI's.  Last time I used this(2 weeks ago) everything worked well.  However, yesterday all communication attempts were unsuccessful.  Today, the GPIB device is no longer lided in my VISA resource dropdown in any of my VI's It's listed in MAX and scanning for instuments switches the PM to remote mode.  This would lead me to believe the GPIB-USB and PM are still functional.    

Any ideas???

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,939 Views)
Can you communicate with the VISA test panels in MAX? Can you attach an image of the instrument properties in MAX?

The scan for instruments does not use any VISA functions. It uses very low level GPIB functions to detect an instrument and then does an IDN? Query. It writes to the VISA configuration file. The file could have gotten corrupted or VISA itself. Check the list of aliases in MAX. A repair or reinstall of VISA might be required.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,937 Views)

I've attached a SS of MAX GPIB properties.  VISA test panel is not an option with the GPIB device.   I spent the two hours downloading and updating LabVIEW 2013 and the most recent NI VISA available.  Still no joy.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,923 Views)

Hit the "Scan for Instruments" at the top.  See if your instrument shows up.  From there, you should be able to communicate with the VISA Test Panel.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,916 Views)

Unfortunately, I've already tried that.   I can see the "active" LED on the GPIB adapter flash, and the PM switches to REMOTE mode, still no VISA test panel option or option in VISA drop-down on VI front panel.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,893 Views)
Why did you set the address of the controller to 9?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,889 Views)

I just happened to stop at 9.  Was originally set to 0(I believe).  Changed it to 1, no luck.  Changed it to 2, still no luck, Changed it to 3......etc.   At this point, I considering uninstalling VISA entirely and performing a clean install.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,885 Views)
From your screenshot, the instrument is NOT listed in MAX so I don't understand your comment in your first post. The listing in MAX does not rely on VISA at all. Make sure the GPIB interface of the instrument is enabled and the cable is connected. It is pointless to worry about VISA until the instrument is detected.

p.s. And change the controller address back to 0.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(7,878 Views)

will do.  thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(7,873 Views)