Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI GPIB-USB-HS+ vs NI GPIB-USB-HS

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a visual basic 6 program that measures IR using an agilent 4339B high resistance meter.

The existing working PC is running Windows XP and uses the NI GPIB-USB-HS and works great.

The original code is using the 32 bit Visual Basic Language Interface  Version 1.7 by National Instruments with the NI-488 DLL .

When I try to use the NI GPIB-USB-HS+ controller it does not work. I installed the new driver for the NI GPIB-USB-HS+.

I unistalled the driver and went back to the NI GPIB-USB-HS controller and re-installed the correct driver for it and the program works.

I was trying to set the same program up on a different PC and could never get the program to communicate with the tester using the 

NI GPIB-USB-HS+ controller.  That is when I decided to verify the controller worked on the original PC and discovered it does not.

I also had the same issue with communications with cap bridges and had to re-write the programs using NI-VISA which the

NI GPIB-USB-HS+ works fine when with.

I would have thought the NI GPIB-USB-HS and the NI GPIB-USB-HS+ would both work on the same application without any 

code changes required and just updating the driver.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide on this topic.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,896 Views)

How does the GPIB-USB-HS+ show up in MAX? Is it shown as a RAW device? If that's the case you should take a look at this document.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0F6177D3EF24DCA4862578F7000036CC

Regardless, it may be a good idea to follow those steps to ensure that it's associated with the NI-488.2 driver in Device Manager.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,856 Views)
Solution
Accepted by keithf01

Thanks - I made some headway on this yesterday.

Turns out the original program had the primary address of the device hard coded.

I added logic to get the primary address from the device and replaced the hard coded value with a variable.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,835 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problems. Could you show me your code concerning the primary adress, please.

best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,142 Views)

We are using the GPIB-USB-HS with no problems.  In the same application when using GPIB-USB-HS+ or GPIB-PCI the hardware will become un-responsive after about three days time, a system hang-up.  In the OS device manager on host PC , it no longer sees the USB-HS+  (? Shows up)

System Information:

- Master PC cannot write to GPIB hardware on host PC

- GPIB hardware non-reponsive

- System works fine with GPIB USB-HS

- GPIB driver v15.5.0.49152

- Host PC with Windows XP, service pack 3 installed

- host PC must be power cycled to recovery

We try to duplicate this offline by changing the GPIB buss speed from 500 nsec(default) to 350 nsec.

Are there suggestions on how to duplicate or fix/improve this situation?  Major semi-conductor manufacturer customer is unhappy to say the least.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,385 Views)