From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI CompactDAQ synchronization with LORD Microstrain sensors

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right location, let me know if I am not.

I'm looking to collect data from both a NI CompactDAQ and a LORD Microstrain wireless sensor system. I'm currently in the process of buying hardware, but I'm looking at the NI cDAQ-9189 chassis (with various input modules) and the LORD Microstrain WSDA-2000 gateway (with various wireless sensors). I know that I can connect both systems to a laptop and take data using labview (using microstrain's MSCL library). My issue is with synchronization of the data. I will have a GPS connected to the WSDA-2000, so all data coming from that should be synchronized with a GNSS time stamp. I'm wondering what my options are for synchronizing the NI cDAQ data with the data from the WSDA-2000 and what level of synchronization I can expect.

My first thought is perhaps there is some way to get a GPS time signal to the cDAQ, but it looks like that is only possible with a cRIO system, is that true? And if I do get a cRIO system, is it possible to just connect the WSDA-2000 directly to it instead of the computer, and what benefit is there to that?

My second thought is that maybe there is a way to send a trigger from one to the other, but I can't seem to find any documentation on how to do that.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,617 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author woodd

Hello woodd,

I found this other forum post that looks to have similar questions to the ones you are answering. To get the level of synchronization you are wanting, I would imagine that you would want to look more at the National Instruments Real Time systems, as the answer in the other post mentions.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Synchronisation-of-DGPS-amp-cDAQ-Linux/td-p/858345

Check out this post, and if you have any more questions please dont hesitate to ask! 

JFP

Message 2 of 3
(2,584 Views)

Ok, yeah I think I agree. The more I look at it, it doesn't look like there's any good way right now to get a trigger signal in or out of the LORD system and it doesn't look like they support any kind of network synchronization. So I think GPS might be my only solution, and I'll need cRIO for that. Unless anyone has a better idea!

Thanks Joseph!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,562 Views)