From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 488.2 software failing Troubleshooting Utility

Solved!
Go to solution

I am unable to control my instruments using my known good software and a known good GPIB-USB-HS controller.  I am using Teststand to call VB6 and VB.NET code which is working on other PCs.  I am running Windows 7 and using NI 488.2 version 2.8.

NI MAX identifies the controller and my instruments.  I am able to communicate with my instruments through NI MAX.  However, the Troubleshooting Utility shows that the software is failing. 

troubleshootingUtility.png

The "Help" button provides the following:

Unknown NI-488.2 Software Error
An unknown NI-488.2 software problem has occurred. Try the following to resolve the problem before calling National Instruments:

Restart your system.
Run the NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Utility again.
If you still have the problem, try the following:

Repair the NI-488.2 for Windows software.
Restart your system.
Run the NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Utility again.

Obviously, these steps did not solve the problem.

My software is unable to get a handle to the controller and my function calls do not populate anything in NI-SPY.

I tried installing the latest 488.2 version (3.1.1) which did not help.  I tried uninstalling all NI software and then re-installing only the 488.2 software.  That did not help either.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,222 Views)

Hi,

The best place to start would be to follow this KnowledgeBase article:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8311FFF18B5308ED86256C0200653B3B?OpenDocument

Specifically verifying that the key "GPIB-32.dll" is present. Once this is ruled out, additional issues can be investigated. If this does not work could you also show a test which fails with NI-488.2 (3.1.1)?

Evan See
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,192 Views)

Hi Evan

Here is the NI-488.2 version 3.1.1 result.

troubleshootingUtility311.png

I verified that gpib-32.dll is contained within the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Today we swapped out the PC and have the system up and running.  I feel like wiping the hard drive on this affected PC and starting over will probably get it going.  I was hoping someone had run accross this failure and had a known fix.

thx

Steve

Message 3 of 4
(6,184 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author slindblo

I found the solution to this problem.

We are using an ICS Electronics modbus to GPIB converter to talk to a Watlow F4 thermal chamber controller.  The ICS module comes with a utility and drivers.  We don't need that software but our technician installed it anyway.  Part of that install includes a file called "gpib-32.dll".  The NI software also uses a file called "gpib-32.dll".  Our NI software was failing because it was accessing this library and finding something completely unexpected.  I replaced the .dll with one from a working install and that corrected the problem.

Interesting that neither the "Repair" nor "Uninstall/Re-Install" could correct this problem.

By the way, gpib-32.dll is not in C:\Windows\System32 on my Windows7 installs.  It is in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\.

Steve

Message 4 of 4
(6,136 Views)