Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488.2 for Mac OS X 64-bit compiler error

When I try to compile a program I wrote under x86 64-bit architecture to communicate/use a GPIB-USB-HS+, I get a linking error telling me that the program cannot find the NI4882.framework library.

The program compiles and runs under 32-bit architecture.

Documentation for NI-488.2 indicates that it supports 64-bit, but it doesn't seem to. Am I accessing the right library?

I get the same behavior if I try to access the NI488.framework library

Has anyone had any success with 64-bit architecture in the Mac OS X environment? I am using an Intel Mac mini running 10.11.6

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,640 Views)

What are your compiler and linker flags?

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,619 Views)

I was mistaken in my assumption regarding the ability of the NI488.2 libraries to work under 64-bit. There appears to be an issue with the software I was using to compile my program and link the library. That software was looking for the NI Library to reside in /system/Library/frameworks folder when the NI488.2 Install program puts it into the /Library/frameworks folder.  Apparently, when I compiled my program in 32-bit, the software is able to resolve the path differences but when I compile as 64-bit, it could not.

I have found a solution that does not involve having to move the NI libraries. The software I am using gives me an option for my program to resolve this discrepancy in runtime rather than at compilation time. When I use that option, everything seems to work in 64-bit.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,597 Views)