From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488.2 for Mac OS X 64-bit compiler error

When I try to compile a program I wrote under x86 64-bit architecture to communicate/use a GPIB-USB-HS+, I get a linking error telling me that the program cannot find the NI4882.framework library.

The program compiles and runs under 32-bit architecture.

Documentation for NI-488.2 indicates that it supports 64-bit, but it doesn't seem to. Am I accessing the right library?

I get the same behavior if I try to access the NI488.framework library

Has anyone had any success with 64-bit architecture in the Mac OS X environment? I am using an Intel Mac mini running 10.11.6

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,636 Views)

What are your compiler and linker flags?

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,615 Views)

I was mistaken in my assumption regarding the ability of the NI488.2 libraries to work under 64-bit. There appears to be an issue with the software I was using to compile my program and link the library. That software was looking for the NI Library to reside in /system/Library/frameworks folder when the NI488.2 Install program puts it into the /Library/frameworks folder.  Apparently, when I compiled my program in 32-bit, the software is able to resolve the path differences but when I compile as 64-bit, it could not.

I have found a solution that does not involve having to move the NI libraries. The software I am using gives me an option for my program to resolve this discrepancy in runtime rather than at compilation time. When I use that option, everything seems to work in 64-bit.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,593 Views)