Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 488.2 and NI VISA problems on win 10

I'm having problems getting my NI GPIB hardware operational on Win 10x64. This hardware worked fine previously on win10x64, but I had to reinstall the OS as my disk died. I took the opportunity to download & install the latest NI-488.2 v17.6 & NI VISA v18 from the website. I installed both these (can't remember which order I installed in), but could not see the drivers loaded properly in device manager. Re installing the NI-488.2, I get a message saying that the NI-488.2 Runtime 17.6 (64 bit) installation has failed.

I uninstalled everything using remove all button in the NI manager & installed NI-488.2 version 17 which I was previously using before I had to replace my disk. I get a similar message. Any ideas? Its driving me nuts. 

The GPIB hardware is a PCI NI card, but I've also tried with a GPIB-USB-HS with the same result. Apart from the error message indicated above, the drivers don't install.

Thanks for any help on this.

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,790 Views)

Generally when you re-install Windows 10 you need to install the drivers starting with the chipset.

Always the case with the PCs I have from Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer.

good luck

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,774 Views)

The only stuff showing driver problems in device manager are my NI products. These are my PCI-GPIB card, my DAQ card and a GPIB-USB-HS (bought from NI) when the latter is inserted. I've not tried to install DAQmx yet, thats a 2Gb download....

All chipset stuff, sound, graphics etc are fine.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,772 Views)

@Joe_McC wrote:

The only stuff showing driver problems in device manager are my NI products. These are my PCI-GPIB card, my DAQ card and a GPIB-USB-HS (bought from NI) when the latter is inserted. I've not tried to install DAQmx yet, thats a 2Gb download....

All chipset stuff, sound, graphics etc are fine.

Thanks,

Joe

If you say so.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,753 Views)

Hi Joe,

Is the hardware itself appearing in either device manager or NI MAX? It may be a case of pointing windows towards the correct driver for

the hardware if it is trying to use a generic driver. Alternatively you can try to force reinstall the software you believe is causing issues.

Jonah W.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,740 Views)