From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 2 port 485 wire mode in Windows 7

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an older NI 2 port RS-485 PCI card (c. 1997).  Recently I neede to configure port 1 for 2 wire and port 4 for 4 wire.  Using Windows 7 and the latest version of Measurement and Automation Explorer, I could not change the wire mode.  The whole section was greyed out. I put the card in a Windows XP machine running the newest Measurement and Automation Explorer and I could set the wire mode.  

After uninstalling and installing the serial drivers and the card in the Windows 7 machine I still could not set the wire mode via Measurement and Automation Explorer or even programmatically.  Through sheer dumb luck I looked  at the com ports in the hardware manager and found an advanced configuration button.  A window with a pull down menu allowed me to set the wire mode and it worked.  

Is this the way 485 pci cards on a Windows 7 machine work now?  I am posting this because I had a heck of a time finding the setting and hopefully someone will be spared some frustration in the future.

Message 1 of 4
(2,963 Views)

Hi rgblair,

Is this the card you have? If so, it is was created with for FULL compatibility for Windows XP/2000/Me/9x/NT. However, you should be able to use NI-Serial 3.6 to communicate with that card in Win 7 (indicated by this NI-Serial Driver Support sheet). 

Regards,

Travis Ann

Customer Education Product Marketing Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,950 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rgblair

The settings are grayed out because they are only available to users with administrator access. On Windows Vista and Windows 7, you should right-click the Measurement and Automation Explorer icon, and select "Run as Administrator."

-Jason S.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,938 Views)

Thanks - I tested this solution and I can now change the wire more.  I must have found a security hole.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,916 Views)