From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PCI-GPIB card is not communicating properly-Error Codes 2 &6. What's wrong?

When attempting to run a test using MTest, LabView based software, I am getting error codes 2 & 6.  Also, whichever of the instruments I have plugged in directly to the PCI-GPIB card does not register and cannot be found by the software.  The other instrument is connected via a GPIB-USB connector and registers properly.

For my application, the card must allow the software to control a controller unit that runs a dyno.  The controller is capable of high frequency data collection that must be communicated to the PC. 

I can not find the reason for errors.  I did notice that the PCI-GPIB card was sharing I/O resources with one of the USB ports.  Is this a possible problem?  It was also sharing DMA resources, which I already reconfigured.  Any suggestions on what else I should look for that may be causing communication problems?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,670 Views)
Hello,

Just to verify, you are able to get the same instrument that doesn't work with the PCI-GPIB to work with the USB-GPIB. correct? Do you see the PCI-GPIB board in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) under "Devices and Interfaces"? Also, does running the "NI-488.2 troubleshooting wizard" work? Are you able to see and communicate with any instruments connected to the board from MAX? If not, right-click on the GPIB entry and select "scan for instruments", and then try to communicate. If this works, then it's likely there's a problem with the program, and if not, then it's probably a problem with the board.

Do you know what API the program you are running is using? NI-VISA or NI-488.2? Sharing resources is pretty normal for plug-and-play instruments on Windows XP (assuming that's the Operating System you are using), so I don't think that's the issue. Let me know what you find after trying the few things I mentioned above.  Thanks!

Regards,

Message Edited by _Belle on 06-12-2007 05:10 PM

Ebele O.
National Instruments
Message 2 of 8
(3,639 Views)
I am running Magtrol's MTest software, which is a Labview based program.  When I go to the configure test screen, the instrument hooked up to the USB-GPIB device shows up with its GPIB address, which the one hooked up to the board directly does not register here-this may just be a hardware issue that the controller instrument must be hooked up using the USB-GPIB, since both devices show in Measurement and Automation Explorer.  I am able to communicate with both devices.  I am not familiar with programming, so the only query I tried was "*IDN?" and the instruments both respond back with their respective instrument names, such as "DSP6001" for the controller.  The "NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Wizard" works, and shows both the USB-GPIB and PCI-GPIB passed.

I do not know the API the program is using.  I assumed it was using NI488.2, but how can I check for sure?  Also, do you know how I would test the board to see if there is a problem with it?  I also tried running the "GPIB Analyzer", I think that was it, and when it lauches, it pops up a screen that says "Missing Card Error" and lists several items to check for to make sure the card is installed properly, which I already tried to see if this would fix the problem.  Does this tell me that my card is bad?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,615 Views)
Hi,

If you are able to talk to the instrument from MAX using both the USB and PCI GPIB Interfaces, then that means they are both working fine. The GPIB Analyzer will only work with GPIB+ boards, and you get that error because you don't have one. It looks like the problem is with the software you are using. Is this software available for download somewhere, or is it something you can post here? If so, I'll take a look at it and see if there's any reason it recognizes only the USB interface. Please let me know. Thanks!

Regards,
Ebele O.
National Instruments
Message 4 of 8
(3,590 Views)
Hi Ebele,

I do only have the PCI-GPIB, no +, so that takes care of the Analyzer issue.  I don't need this feature for our application, so the board I have is fine. 

Since you have pretty much narrowed the issue down to a software/program issue, I tried some reconfiguration and switching up the connections to the control units.  After reconfiguring the software and hardware, I have funcationality over most of the system including computer controlled test and most of the data acquisition.  The only problem I am having now is with the power analyzer hooked up to the GPIB-PCI card.  This may also just be a matter of configuring everything correctly.

One last question:  Is the PCI-GPIB card neccessary for processing the signal from the USB-GPIB connection, or is the USB-GPIB self-sufficient and can communicate with the computer without a functioning PCI-GPIB card? 

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan LeCloux
Kohler Co.-Engines Division
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,579 Views)
Hi Jonathan,

The USB-GPIB is sufficient, and you don't need a PCI-GPIB board in addition. In fact, both boards are essentially the same except for the different interfaces (GPIB vs. USB). I hope this answers your quesstion.

Regards,

Ebele O.
National Instruments
Message 6 of 8
(3,558 Views)

Hello Ebele,

I reconfigured my hardware connections so that the 2 meter GPIB cable now connects from the power analyzer to the controller, and the USB-GPIB plugs into the back side of this cable on the controller end.  Both instruments now show up in MAX under the USB-GPIB and show up in M-TEST and function properly when running tests.

Can I conclude from this that there is something wrong with the PCI-GPIB card connection?  Or is it possible that the software is not configured to communicate with 2 signal sources, the USB and PCI interfaces?

At least now I know I do not need the PCI-GPIB card for anything.

Thanks,

Jonathan LeCloux

Kohler Co.-Engines Division

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,547 Views)
Hi Jonathan,

I am glad you are able to communicate with both instruments now. Since you mentioned that you tested the PCI-GPIB board in MAX and it worked, it looks like it is functioning correctly. I believe the problem has something to do with the way the software is trying to access the PCI-GPIB. If you open up a blank LabVIEW VI and drop a VISA resource name control on it, are you able to select the instrument that is connected to the PCI-GPIB board? If you are, then the problem you are seeing definitely has something to do with the software.  Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ebele O.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,518 Views)