From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify Ni drivers to control Chroma 6430 AC power supply via RS232

I have a Chroma 6430 power supply connected to Labview 8.5.  I have downloaded the NI certified drivers, but they are for GPIB only.  Basically, I need help modifying (if it is possible) the VIs supplied with the driver download so that I can control through a RS232 connection.  I can use the "Basic Serial Write and Read.vi" to communicate with the instrument, but I am wanting more functionality and am hoping that I will not have to start from scratch. 

Thanks.

James

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,120 Views)

The driver uses VISA so the modification is simple. You have the example 34401 driver installed. Look at the initialuze function for that and modify the 6430 to something similar.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,113 Views)

Thanks for the tip.  I have pulled up the 34401 Initialize VI and will try to modify the 6430 initialize VI based on that.  I will let you know how it goes.

James

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,105 Views)

Dennis,

I was getting errors when trying to modify the 6430 VIs to resemble the 34401 (I can't recall the errors right now).  I think that communication to my device requires much less than the 34401 (as far as initializing).  I ended up modifying the "Advanced Serial Write and Read" VI so that I had 6430 specific commands being sent and used the 34401 VIs as a reference when trying to manipulate the data I received from the 6430. 

Thanks for your help.

James

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,076 Views)