Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurement and Automation Explorer / Read Operation Error VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

Hello All,

Below is the following set up I'm have trouble with.

I'm trying to communicate with a Eurotherm 2416 furnace controller.

I'm using Measurment and Automation Explorer to try to connect to a USB Serial Port. 

When trying to communicate with my device via the Input/Output I get no error when I write , but if try to query, or read I get the following error:

ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 27 19.48.jpg

Also The Eurotherm 2416 Controller has a S.br Alarm flashing (Sensor Break). I've assured that all of the wires are firmly connected. Does this effect the VISA read ability?

I've downloaded the et24xx driver for the eurotherm 2416 controller. I'm able to communicate to the controller the furnace setpoint, but unable to read the furnace temp due to the S.br (sensor break) alarm flashing. The furnace seems to be heating though. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first encounter with labview, so be descriptive with your feedback. 

Thanks for your time and consideration.

- Gibran

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,312 Views)

Hi Gibran,

Have you tried performing a serial loopback test with your cable?  You can find how to perform one here.

What kind of cables are you using to connect your device? (specifically, which protocol is it?)

I appreciate any additional information you can provide us with.

Warm Regards,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,297 Views)

Are you sure the oven responds to a *IDN command?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,289 Views)

Daniel,

I've succesfuly verified the loopback test using Hyperterminal. I'm using a  Belkin FB3207-10 9 prong Serial Cable. I think it is a RS232 cable; I've gone to the Belkin website looking for a spec sheet with no luck. I'm also using a USB Serial adapter to connect to a USB port on my PC that reads "TX POWER RX".  Unfortunatly, I don't know what you mean by "protocol"

Thanks again for your help.

- Gibran

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,279 Views)

I don't know how to determine if the oven responds to IDN command; I've looked throught the manual and there is no mention of IDN command. I've tried all the other command types *STB?\n , *ESR\n , *WAI\n , etc. with "No Error" in the Write Operation , but when I Query, Read, or Read Status Byte I get "Read Operation Error VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed."

How do I determine if the oven or Eurotherm 2416 controller is responsive to IDN commands?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,275 Views)
There is no point in sending commands that are not listed in the manual. Since you say you can send a setpoint and the instrument responds and unless you get a timeout when doing the read temperature command, I don't see where you have a problem.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,270 Views)

My problem is that the i'm not able to read temperature; the eurotherm 2416 controller displays a S.br read out rather than a temperature value. Is this a hardware issue or communication error the only information the manual provides is that S.br is a sensor break alarm. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,239 Views)
Sounds to me like a hardware problem. The readout has nothing to do with a connection to a pc. Have you tried contacting the vendor?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,235 Views)

So I've resolved the S.br alarm issue. But now I'm having problems with getting the furnace to heat up to the setpoint. When I run the et24xx I get the setpoint to communicate succesfuly with the controller and the process value (temperature) is communicated back to the graph on the ET24xx Temperature Control and Monitoring Example.vi. The furnace makes no attempt to reach the set point. I know the furnace works because I can do it manually with out LabView. Who should I talk to gain more understanding on how to use the et24xx software?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,187 Views)

Hi Gibran,

I would begin by looking at Eurotherm's product pages for the 2400 series devices.  From the specific product page, you can then download specifications, programming resources, etc.

Where did you obtain the VI you mentioned?

Regards,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,171 Views)