From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2 VISA to serial port

Hi,

I try to manage a Monitor Philips MP20 through a USB-serial converter from VScom. I checked  functionality of VScom's driver (they answered the driver is OK for OSX 10.7). I am using NI- VISA 5.1.1  I found several issues to read the port:

• The first time that read the port, the message received is OK, but if I do a second o several reads, at the beginning of the received message has the last byte of the last message.
  • If I try to check if there is bytes at port several times, the computer crash
  • I try to use flush VI but I received the message that is not supported for this device
  • The error code that receive was BFFF0026 and BFFF0072

I think may be the problem is the VISA Driver, I run the same VI in a Mac with OSX 10.6 and NI- VISA 5.1.1 and works. Anyway the project is set to use Mac with OSX 10.7 so Can you help me with this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,645 Views)

Hi,

How you can see in the link below, the NI-VISA 5.1.1 doesn´t have full support for MAC OSX 10.7.x yet.

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2660/lang/en

Your code works with Mac OSX 10.6.x because this OS has full support from this NI-VISA version.

Best Regards,

Abel Souza

NI Brazil

Abel Souza
Engenheiro Eletrônico
LabVIEW User since 8.5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,602 Views)

The download page for the VISA beta describes exactly the problem which has prevented it from being fully released, and it only impact the VISA configuration utility. Serial communication should work fine. You have described several problems, so there may be several root causes. The most important to me is the one that crashes the computer. When working with NI-VISA, the operating system architecture will prevent NI-VISA from crashing the system. A problem in VISA could cause the application to crash, but crashing the entire system is most likely due to the hardware driver for your serial port.

Do you have another serial interface from another manufacturer, that could be used to determine whether the problem only exists with this serial port? Perhaps you can confirm that the driver you are using is the correct one for OS X 10.7.

-Jason S.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,571 Views)

I wrote to the company to ask about the functionality of the driver, their answer was it worked to OS 10.7. I test the port using the basic examples of serial com include in LabView. Besides, I used Zterm to communicate with other PC without problem.

I think maybe is a problem writing several times a lot o data to the port, but I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,566 Views)