Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX crashes OS when a RS-422 PCI card is installed

I have an RS-422 PCI card installed. It is not an NI card nor is it a third-party card intended for use by any NI software or hardware. But, when I open MAX and try to select 'Devices and Interfaces' The entire OS freezes. On XP it just sits there until you do a hard system power On/Off. On Windows 7 and Windows 10, it literally crashes the OS and causes a reboot. If I disable the card in device manager,  'Devices and Interfaces' opens fine. 

Is there a way to tell MAX to not look for that card?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,771 Views)

Does Windows recognize the card? If there is an error in Device Manager for the card, then you have a more fundamental problem than MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,753 Views)

Yes windows and device manager both recognize the device fine. 

I guess I assumed that would obvious by stating that I had to disable it in device manager. I.e. the fact that it was enabled suggests it is properly recognized by the OS and device manager.

The device functions properly in all manors of operation.

MAX will open normally also.

As I said, the issue arises only when Devices and Interfaces is selected and the card is enabled.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,746 Views)

Hello JohnW242424:

According to your description, this is a third party instrument. This instrument is supported by National Instruments and also did you get the appropriate driver for this device?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,709 Views)

@JKarma wrote:

Hello JohnW242424:

According to your description, this is a third party instrument. This instrument is supported by National Instruments and also did you get the appropriate driver for this device?

According to him, this PCI is not related to anything NI.

And it is working in Windows Device Manager.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,690 Views)

Even if the card looks fine in device manager, MAX might hit a bug the the cards driver.

Do you run that card with the latest available driver ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,671 Views)

Happens on XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10...have tried numerous versions and combinations of OS, DAQmx drivers, and MAX. Again, MAX opens fine. It is only when you try to open Devices and Interfaces that it crashes the system. Have tried to rebuild the MAX DB as well, no difference.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,656 Views)

To lock down the problem it might help to analyze minidump files as described in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/315263/how-to-read-the-small-memory-dump-file-that-is-creat...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,650 Views)

The other day, I had a stand with a GPIB card in it where both MAX and the device manager stated it was working fine.  However, it lost 8 pieces of equipment tied to it.  It required us taking out all other cards and power cycling after re-installing each card separately in order for it to begin working again.  Are the RS-422 ports connected when the card is installed or is it just the unconnected card causing the issue?

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,640 Views)

Unconnected.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,634 Views)