From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LeCroy Waverunner 640Zi -- Data Acquisition

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello... I am trying to set up my waverunner oscilloscope with LabVIEW SignalExpress for data aquisition. 

Steps I have taken thus far:

1. Pulse generator hooked to scope for signal generation

2. USB from scope to Computer with LabView installed

3. Downloaded lecroyscope driver 3.2.9-x64

I turn the scope on, and plug in the USB to the computer and SignalExpress starts up. 

a. start using data aquisition

b. add step/aquire signal/ IVI aquire/ IVI scope aquire

c. create new IVI session .. resource descriptor (I choose my USB device "USB0::0x05FF::0x1023::2812N61507::INSTR"), I select the correct driver (lcscope), and I don't click enable simulation data, hit ok
d. I keep getting configuration errors

e. Did research.. some forum said to goto MAX, find drivers and unclick Cache and Interchange Check

f. Trying to initialize ... still get config errors. 

g. Back to MAX .. change simulate with specific driver. 

h. Initialization works... NO errors, BUT no data is being aquired. 

PLEASE HELP ! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(9,719 Views)

Hello,

Can you post back with screenshots of the exact configure errors you are getting? 

Matthew R.
Field Applications & Systems Engineer
National Instruments

Certified-LabVIEW-Developer_rgb.jpg

Certified-TestStand-Developer_rgb.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(9,680 Views)

Labview-Error.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(9,672 Views)

It appears to me as thought the drivers are not able to communicate with the device correctly.

The LeCroy Waverunner 640Zi uses USBTMC; I found this by looking at the device’s data sheet. Can you confirm that you can actually communicate with the device by using a VISA Test Panel in MAX?

To do this, first you’ll need to locate the device within NI-MAX, right click the device and select Open VISA Test Panel, and then query the device with a *IDN? command. If you get the correct information back, then we at least know communication with the device can be established, and this issue is related to the either the drivers or signal express.

Sending commands with the NI-VISA Test Panel: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/19B075803E013125862575CF006B37F8

Matthew R.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(9,650 Views)

Matthew,

Error_2.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(9,622 Views)

Hello,

Even our VISA drivers appear unable to communicate with the LeCroy device. This could just be due to the configuration settings, if it’s not too much trouble, can you attach screenshots of each of the tabs you see in the configuration window of the VISA Test Panel? Are you sure you are using the USB488 port on the device (see page13 of the device’s Getting Started Manual), when connecting it to your computer?

For your reference, I was able to locate the following material LeCory has for the device:

Getting Started Manual: http://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/manuals/wr6zi-gs_manual.pdf

Remote Control Manual: http://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/manuals/wm-rcm-e_rev_d.pdf  

Based on what I have read in the getting started manual (page 146), and it’s pretty vague, we may need enable the type of remote communication to use within the Remote dialog of the device. I’ve never heard of this being the case for any instrument device, but since I don’t have the device, I can’t confirm this or deny this possibility.  

Matthew R.
National Instruments

Message 6 of 15
(9,601 Views)

Hi,

I am using the USBTMC port , so we are good there. FYI in the I/O tab, I have tried several different timeout times, none of which made a difference in the errors I am getting.  Sorry for the inline images, the computer I am using will not attach them.  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(9,599 Views)

Matt, Do you have an email address I can send the photos to? This forum is not allowing me to post at pictures .

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(9,591 Views)

Config_2.JPGConfig_4.JPGConfig_3.JPGConfig_1.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(9,581 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author zachw6

Hello,

Sorry to jump in so late, I have been out of the country for a while and am still catching up on things in my office.

I think you are looking for someone to say "yes, you can connect to the scope with NI-MAX and the VISA Interactive Tool, and here is how to do it"

A few things:

The LabVIEW driver for XStream scopes is the right one.  It works with all of the TeledyneLeCroy Windows based scopes.

As I see was already pointed out. (I will give Kudos soon), the scope must be setup to use the USBTMC interface.  To do this, go to the Utitlites pulldown menu on the scope and select "Utilities Setup..." on the tabs that appear at the bottom of the display, select the "Remote" tab and ensure the interface type is set to USBTMC.  This will also show you the VISA resource (I see it in the title of the VISA interactive tool image shown in a previous post).

Once this is selected, the PC should detect the USB connection and install the device. (you can see it in your device manager as a USB Test and Measurement Device:

Capture2.JPG

Once this is done, you can then go into NI-MAX and it will detect and show the resource.  You can now communicate with the device:

Capture.JPG

If you have any challenges, feel free to give me a call and I am happy to walk through this over the phone.

Regards,

Leonard Brown
Applications Engineer
Teledyne LeCroy
1-800-553-2769

Message 10 of 15
(9,571 Views)