Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LeCroy 6050A and PXEe 8108 RT

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a LeCroy Waverunner 6050A oscilloscope and I want to use it as a data acquisition hardware.

I want to use a PXIe-8108 with a RT operating system to access the LeCroy oscilloscope using VISA through a LAN.

I can see the oscilloscope in MAX [3] and I can communicate to it using IO resource: "VICP::169.254.103.3" from the My Computer "169.254.103.1", but not from the NI-PXIe8108 controller "169.254.103.2". [1]

The simple vi [2] works when it is running on My Computer, but not from NI-PXIe8108.

It returns the error:

Error -1073807343 occurred at VISA Open in LeCroy_hello.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

I checked that the LeCroy can ping both My Computer and PXIe8108.

In MAX, I can add the oscilloscope under both "My Sysyem" and "NI-PXIe8108".

The PXIe8108 is using the:

NI Real-Time PharLap 13.1 Operating system

Firmware Revision: 13.1

The LeCroy is set to use TCIP (VICP) for remote connections

and its firmware version is 6.5.0.5.

Do I need to install some softwares (like the Teledyne LeCroy VICP Passpor) on the PXIe8108 and if yes how do I do it?

Thanks and cheers,

John.

[1] project.png

[2] hello_lecroy_vi.png

[3] MAX.png

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,610 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author as_tj

Hello John,

I have not worked with RT stuff in quite some time, so I am not sure how to install it.  You do need the VICP Pa$$port though.  The alternative is to use the LXI(VXI-11) interface type on the scope.

With this interface, you can use a straight TCPIP VISA resource.  i.e. TCPIP0::169.254.103.3::inst0::INSTR

This interface is slower than the VICP interface when transferring large sets of data.

The VICP Pa$$port is just a dll (two dll's on my 64 bit OS, but the 64 bit version is for 64 bit LabVIEW) that is can be found on the PC at:  C:\VXIPnp\WinNT\bin

Cheers,

Leonard Brown

Applciations Engineer

TeledyneLeCroy

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,597 Views)

Hello Leonard,

Thank you for your email and help.

I tried using the LVI(VXI-11) as you suggested. I can find and add the LeCroy on MAX under "My System". And opening the "VISA test panel", I can send a query to LeCroy and read a valid response. [1]

However when I tried running a test VI from LabView with VISA resource

TCPIP0::169.254.103.3::inst0::INSTR, it returns the following error message:

"Error -1073807343 occurred at VISA Write in LeCroy_from_PC.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system."

I tried using resouse id TCPIP0::LCRY0604P17429::inst0::INSTR, and got the same error.

Just to be sure, I disabled the VICP passpord and tried again with the same results.

---

When I tried adding LeCroy under the NI-PXIe8108 in MAX, MAX can find the LeCroy. But device status states:

"VISA returned this static device when finding resources, and MAX was able to use VISA to parse the resource name.  MAX was not able to successfully open a VISA session to the device." [2]

And trying to open "VISA test panel", it gives the error:

"Error opening resource: visa://169.254.103.2/TCPIP0::LCRY0604P17429::inst0::INSTR

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF00A8) Access to the resource or remote machine is denied. This is due to lack of sufficient privileges for the current user or machine." [3]

Trying to run a test VI on the NI-PXI with resource TCIPIP0::169.254.103.3 returns an error:

"Error -1073807343 occurred at VISA Open in LeCroy_hello.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system."

Thanks for helping.

Cheers,

John

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,580 Views)

Hello.

If I want to install the VICP passpor onto the NI-PXI real-time, does anyone know how to do this?

Would copying the two dll on my PC to some directory on the NI-PXT work?

Cheers,

John

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,578 Views)

Hi John,

Sorry it was not very clear in my last post.  You have to change the interface type on the scope.  Go to the Utilities menu and select "Utilities Setup..." then change the interface on the "Remote" tab.

Cheers,

Leonard Brown

Applications Engineer

TeledyneLeCroy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,561 Views)

Hi Leonard,

Thank you for your reply and sorry if my last message was not clear. But yes, I did change the remote interface type to LVI(VXI-11) on the LeCroy scope. And then all those things happened.

Cheers,

John

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,554 Views)

Hi John,

On the scope, are you using the default account?

I have never had a permissions error like this occur with these scopes.

I don't think the issue is the firewall, but you can try turning it off on the scope side.  Our firmware installer will add rules to the scope firwewall settings for the VICP and LXI connections.  I have seen customers that put anti virus software on the scope that prohibits the connections also.

Cheers,

Leonard Brown

Applications Engineer

TeledyneLeCroy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,524 Views)

Hi Leonard,

Yes, there is only one account on the scope. I tried disabling the anti-virus software and firewall, but still see the same errors.

Like I said on [10-17-2013 10:25 PM], using the test VISA panel in MAX, I can get a valid VISA query response. I don't know why it wouldn't work on labview itself.

I am using LabView 2013 (32bits).

Cheers,

Assad

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,499 Views)

Hi Assad,

Sorry for the delay, I have been very busy lately.  I am going to have to take some time to install LV 2013 to test this out.  I am also using NI-VISA 5.3.  I need to check to see if there is a newer version.

I am able to connect to the LXI resource from MAX but I cannot use the VICP resource. (This has been a known issue since the VISA Interactive Control GUI changed).

As long as you are not connected to the scope with MAX (after you tested the connection), LabVIEW should not have any problems.  Even if you do not save the changes in MAX, you should still be able to connect. (I am lazy and I never configure my LXI or VICP resources in MAX anymore, I just go right to LabVIEW).

I am using LV 2009, 2010, 2011, and sometimes 2012.

If MAX can connect, LabVIEW should too.

Have you talked to NI about this yet?  I am thinking my next step would be to call them to see why MAX works with the resource but LabVIEW does not.

I will see what I can do to duplicate this here in my Lab and let you know if I figure it out.

Sorry I could not be of more help here.

Cheers,

Leonard Brown

Applications Engineer

TeledyneLecroy

Message 9 of 11
(5,484 Views)

Hi Leonard,

We fixed the problem using LeCroy's labview drivers and the TCPIP0::169.254.103.3 as resource. The VI now gets LeCroy to talk to the PXI.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

John

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,462 Views)